Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Odoo Module Builder

Yusnel Rojas Garcia
on 4/12/15, 12:56 PM 4,148 views

We are happy to announce Odoo Module Builder (https://github.com/slmoebius/builder): a module for creating modules in Odoo for Odoo.

We have being working with Odoo (formerly OpenERP) for two years now. At the beginning, module programming was exciting because we were in the learning process, but after a while we begin to acknowledge some patterns and repetitive processes, and the idea of a module for creating modules come to our minds. We hope this module will help the community.

Do you plan to make it available as an apps available for Saas Users?

AD LIBITOM, michel Guénard
on 4/12/15, 3:01 PM
Yusnel Rojas Garcia
On 4/14/15, 11:40 AM

Well I make a test installing a odoo (branch 8.0 althouhg not the latest) and installing the product module with the builder and I couldn't reproduce that error (weird error indeed). It does't hurt if you post the complete stacktrace if you like or instead could you create an issue with it in github so we can check all that in one place please.

Documentation is one pending matter of the builder, but we made it quite similar to the odoo interface for the elements we manage such as models, fields, module itself, groups, record rules etc. Odoo developers shouln't be lost on the interface.

To highlight some of the current features:

- create module with basic info

- create of models, importing existing (models from installed modules) and manage external dependencies for imported modules, create fields, manage model methods, designer (web_diagram) for models (nodes) and fields (transitions for relation fields)

- create views for models and wizard supporting basic setting for most (except qweb) of the view types with custom code if needed

- creation of actions (currently only window actions)

- creation of menu items (can be mixed with current system menu if referencing parent)

- create groups (can be set on actions, menus, fields, etc)

- create model access rules with wizard to generate it for selected models and groups (generates ir.model.access.csv)

- create model rules (ir.rule)

- create cron jobs

- import local module (installed module) is a feature to inspect a given module (models, fields, relations, etc) is not intended for cloning a module and made modifications

- export and import module feature is not currently working right now

that's the features so far for the backend section, a website section is already created but not finished yet

Alby Antony
On 4/13/15, 6:52 AM

i tried to install the module in my odoo but it was showing error.. can you tell me y it could be?

this is a brilliant app, i think you need to create a user manual to easy the usage of the app

On 10/29/15, 3:25 AM

Is this active ? I see on github that the last update was 2 month ago

not for the time being. oca wanted to port the functionality to their own module and we agreed the terms but didn't hear more from them. anyway we (I at least) want to keep improving the module, perhaps make it compatible with version 9, but can't do it at the moment.

Yusnel Rojas Garcia
on 10/29/15, 7:40 AM
Juan Muñoz
On 7/20/15, 4:25 AM

Hi all,

I had an issue where I try to create a module. But I could solve it moving line 858 before line 827 of file /openerp/osv/expression.py and all works fine. 

But now I add the basic information of module but when i click on 'Download' to install this module, my server crash with 'Internal Server Error'. 

Any idea? Help please.

Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim

--Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim--
| 5 3 7
Gîza, Egypt
--Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim--

I am an old VFP developer on ERP

I have moved to 2p since Nov-2014 and started developing with Python on Odoo.

Tarek Mohamed Ibrahim
On 6/24/15, 4:17 AM

It is a nice idea to think that generic way. I downloaded it and created a module, installed it and started adding data to the created module. It is a great work.

great to hear that!, please give us some feedback to improve it!

Yusnel Rojas Garcia
on 6/24/15, 8:24 PM
faisol bahri
On 5/2/15, 8:17 AM

Hi, I have  been crate database on odoo 7 and now i just upgrade to odoo 8, but my database can't be read, what must i do?

Sandor Dobi
On 4/13/15, 4:19 AM

This can be a great addon to speedup Odoo development and customisation! Thanks for this.

I am looking forward to try it. Is there a short docs about the features and 'ToDos' available?

Hi I tried to install the module into odoo v8 branch, with almost no other modules (only products installed) and getting an weird exception:

I will not show the full trace (if you need it i'll post)

The error:

File "/opt/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/models.py", line 1267, in _validate_fields
    raise ValidationError('\n'.join(errors))
ParseError: "ValidateError
Field(s) `arch` failed against a constraint: Invalid view definition

Error details:
_description_searchable" while parsing /opt/odoo/custom/addons/builder/views/module_view.xml:4, near
<record id="module_form" model="ir.ui.view">
            <field name="name">builder.ir.module.module.form</field>
            <field name="model">builder.ir.module.module</field>
            <field name="arch" type="xml">
                <form string="Module">

Builder now works in the latest Odoo version! After some hours of debugging we found the mysterious error. It turns out that the following code raises the error: name = fields.Char(store=False) But more mysterious is the solution for it: name = fields.Char(store=False, search=True) Could this be a bug in the Odoo orm?

Yusnel Rojas Garcia
on 4/18/15, 2:02 PM
Gabor Zoltan
On 4/16/15, 5:10 AM

Same "Invalid view definition" error in may case too.

I'm on v8 with minimal module installation (tried two cases with only 'product' and with 'sale'), not quite the latest build , approx. of two weeks ago.

Otherwise very exciting initiative , please fix the bug.

On 4/29/15, 6:12 PM

Tried right now. When I try to update the module list the server give me an error about missing module builder...

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

9 follower(s)

Asked: 4/12/15, 12:56 PM
Seen: 4148 times
Last updated: 8/28/16, 11:10 PM