This question has been flagged
7 Replies

I'd like to know if it's possible that, although you may download now and install Odoo v8 under AGPL, this can change in the future for v8 or whether any change in licensing would just apply to future versions (v10 for example). Thanks for any clarification on this.

Discard

They change product license anytime, they can remove tweets, for license never trust odoo. History hold is truth and fact about odoo bad license polices.

The founder and president of Odoo Fabien had removed own tweet on 26th May, ~2011.

"Tweet was: OpenERP will always remain AGPL. We have a way to satisfy customers and partners demand without dual-licencing." .

https://twitter.com/Seb_Beau/status/73744844559876096

Best Answer

Hi Manuel,

Odoo has the right to change the licensing at any time however the founder and president of Odoo Fabien has stated many many times that that will not happen.

Is there something specific you are concerned about?

Discard
Author

Actually yes: I'm concerned about implementing Odoo today (v8), and having to pay a license in 5 years time if I want to continue using v8, don't know how feasible this is, but it would completely change my perspective about this system today.

for 10 years people have been worried about this... but I don't see it happening. But I don't know the future. But highly doubt it will happen.

Author

Thanks for your feedback Stephen!

I just noticed that you said pay a license in 5 years to use v8. That could never happen. V8 has been released with the AGPL license. This license can never change. They can only change a license of a future version of odoo. So if you download a copy of v8 today you can use it until comets destroy the earth or you want to upgrade.

Author

That's what I suspected but just wanted to double-check. Thanks again Stephen!

Best Answer

The license for v9 has changed from AGPL to LGPLv3.

\Odoo changes license from AGPL to LGPLv3

Discard