Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Odoo license

By
Manuel Pérez
on 1/28/15, 5:48 AM 905 views

I'd like to know if it's possible that, although you may download now and install Odoo v8 under AGPL, this can change in the future for v8 or whether any change in licensing would just apply to future versions (v10 for example). Thanks for any clarification on this.

They change product license anytime, they can remove tweets, for license never trust odoo. History hold is truth and fact about odoo bad license polices.

Zahin
on 8/5/16, 12:40 AM

The founder and president of Odoo Fabien had removed own tweet on 26th May, ~2011.

"Tweet was: OpenERP will always remain AGPL. We have a way to satisfy customers and partners demand without dual-licencing." .

https://twitter.com/Seb_Beau/status/73744844559876096

Zahin
on 8/5/16, 12:47 AM

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 1/28/15, 8:34 AM

Hi Manuel,

Odoo has the right to change the licensing at any time however the founder and president of Odoo Fabien has stated many many times that that will not happen.

Is there something specific you are concerned about?

Actually yes: I'm concerned about implementing Odoo today (v8), and having to pay a license in 5 years time if I want to continue using v8, don't know how feasible this is, but it would completely change my perspective about this system today.

Manuel Pérez
on 1/28/15, 8:38 AM

for 10 years people have been worried about this... but I don't see it happening. But I don't know the future. But highly doubt it will happen.

Stephen Mack
on 1/28/15, 9:09 AM

Thanks for your feedback Stephen!

Manuel Pérez
on 1/28/15, 9:12 AM

I just noticed that you said pay a license in 5 years to use v8. That could never happen. V8 has been released with the AGPL license. This license can never change. They can only change a license of a future version of odoo. So if you download a copy of v8 today you can use it until comets destroy the earth or you want to upgrade.

Stephen Mack
on 1/28/15, 10:56 AM

That's what I suspected but just wanted to double-check. Thanks again Stephen!

Manuel Pérez
on 1/28/15, 11:00 AM
Nicholas DeMarco
On 3/27/16, 8:07 AM

The license for v9 has changed from AGPL to LGPLv3.

\Odoo changes license from AGPL to LGPLv3

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 1/28/15, 5:48 AM
Seen: 905 times
Last updated: 8/10/16, 4:44 AM