This question has been flagged

Is there a way to setup a Odoo 8 so it looks to the local Odoo repository? I have an Ubuntu server setup and I'm trying to configure it so I don't need install a local database in order to test changes. For instance, make the changes to a local Odoo git repository and point the config file to the Ubuntu server where Postgresql is installed. 

This is how it works in MVC. All the files are modified locally and then published to the server after testing. It seems like you do everything on a local database and server and then deploy your changes. In other words, all the developers need Python (all the Python packages), Postgresql and so.

I have already configured PyCharm to create a virtual environment from site-packages, so I don't have to install Python for all of the users. I also setup the conf file to point the remote server and it works no problem. I have cloned git for all the users as well. I have each user setup with their own vm that I cloned from a base Ubuntu with Odoo install.

Hopefully this is possible. Worst comes to worse I will just have them modify the files locally and deploy as needed.

Discard
Best Answer

I don't understand what do you want, seems that you find the answer to your initial question by yourself, Odoo have configuration options for configure the use of a remote PostgreSQL database. In case that you still need it you can specify them in a config file that you can put wherever you want and have permision to read by the Odoo running user and run Odoo with "-- config /path/to/config/file" as an argument. The content of this config file could be any of the supported Odoo config options plus your own needed ones. For Database configuration you can use this:

[options]
db_host = server_hostname_or_ip
db_port = 5432 db_user = openerp db_password = openerp

Change those options as your convenience

Discard