Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Odoo 8.0 How to compose a simple email from Messaging Inbox Panel not just addressed to our followers ? How to customize the rec

By
IPsylone
on 7/19/14, 2:34 PM 5,666 views

Still using the OpenERP 5.0 version, I currently explore the odoo evolution. I tried the 7.x version and compare it to 8.0 development version.

I have a problem with messaging app in 8.0. Maybe a lack of understanding from myself, but I cannot find any piece of explanation over the web, the reason of my question here.  

In the messaging app, on inbox panel the "Compose a new button" and the top-right mail icon next to the user top menu had been removed in latest 8.0 versions. So compare to the 7.x version, on the 8.0 we can just write a message to all of our followers and we cannot customize the recipient list.

The result is that I don't understand how to compose a simple Email and customize the recepient list by adding or removing users and other mail addresses from the Inbox panel and from the Compose message form view. It can be easily done in 7.0 or on OpenERP Saas version. 

I just found any GitHub commits like this one https://github.com/odoo/odoo/commit/5209fbc7ed9fcad966ab064654a8a8697142be42, for the mail icon deletion, but not enough explanation of the reason.

I don't have enough of karma to insert images so I give you just behind the links of a screenshot from the OpenERP v7 documentation. Just understand that in the 8.0 version the compose a new message bottom and the top-right mail icon disappeared. 

https://doc.odoo.com/book/12/ => the image link https://doc.odoo.com/doc_static/7.0/_images/messaging_menu.png

Thanks for your anwers!

Mariusz Mizgier
On 8/11/14, 3:00 PM

It is not a bug, it has been merged with official branches as a commit IPsylone mentioned in his post, but as this question has been already asked on this forum several times, no official statement was given about that.

Midas
On 8/21/14, 2:21 AM

I have the same problem.

Lucas Huber
On 8/11/14, 1:23 PM

Hi,

I have the problem with odoo 8.0rc1 updated at SA 9.8.14. It must be a bug.

Compose a new message button just does not exists.

Same problem.

Midas
on 8/21/14, 2:22 AM
Frank Adler
On 8/11/14, 6:31 PM

Hi,

To send a single message to a single user you can - given your mailservers are configured correctly - send a message by viewing the user in form view (e.g. Sales - Customers) and then click on "Send a message" below the user form (I think that's enable through the social media module, not sure though). Just type your email in the text box that opens up. The msg will get sent to the customers email, but with a subject "Re: <email-address>"... so not very handy.

If you use the two little squares just up to the right of the textbox, it pops out the "full email composer" which would allow you to add a subject line. Unfortunately it still seems very buggy, doesn't let you add any additional recipients, and doesn't copy the selected customer in. Hence I've not been able to make a single email go out through that channel, so until you have confirmed it works on your install I would not trust this 100%. (If you type in a subject and message btw, you can hit send and it looks like it's going out without an error, but it doesn't. Don't have access to the server logs on my machine, but I assume that is because there is actually no recipient at all in the recipient field...)

Just in case you are wondering, replies to your message (from the simple text box) do get correctly posted back as a blog entry to that customer, but you don't receive a notification in your message inbox either. To get replies posted I had to make sure that the email address catchall@<yourdomain> is redirected to the inbox you have configured in your mailservers.

Hope this helps.
Frank

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/19/14, 2:34 PM
Seen: 5666 times
Last updated: 4/1/15, 9:50 AM