This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Hello,

I'm currently running Odoo community edition via Docker using the deb from 2020-07-01. I was testing a process for my first time on runbot yesterday and it looks like runbot is running 13.5alpha.

Is it possible for me to upgrade Odoo 13 CE to Odoo 13.5 or any other 13.x? If so, how?

Thank you in advance

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Tap,

Not really and you shouldn't do it either. The 13.x versions are in between versions used by the Odoo SaaS and are not ment to be used for on premise installations. Odoo uses these 'subversions' in order to deploy partial updates and release new features quicker to customers on their platform. 
Odoo has their own scripts to handle updates to 'subversions' but they're not available for outsiders or on premise installations.

This means that if you would install a 13.x version that you would handle the migration to every next subversion and that you're basically on your own. 

So in short: don't. Stay in a major version (V12, V13, soon V14) and upgrade to a major version every one, two or three years.

Regards,
Yenthe

Discard
Author

Hi Yen, I appreciate everything you do for the Odoo community. I wanted to circle back on this question since I've been pondering on your main point of why subversions would be unwise to upgrade to.

"This means that if you would install a 13.x version that you would handle the migration to every next subversion and that you're basically on your own. "

It has always been my understanding community edition users must keep their fingers crossed a migration tool is released from an outside developer such as OCA to upgrade major releases such as 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14.

"....and that you're basically on your own"

Are you suggesting Odoo will be releasing an official migration tool on Odoo 14 release day? It seems it would be wise to run subversions in dev to keep up with the changes instead of doing a full migration at once. Do you disagree?

I do not believe Odoo has any intention of releasing a tool to CE for easy upgrades since Odoo makes a small fortune, better yet prints money, selling the migrations at $10/line of code. If anyone were to know in advance such tool would be released to CE I have no doubts you would be aware earlier than us "outsiders" and "on premise" installers. Any insight you could give would be appreciated.

Hi,

No, there will be no official migration tool for community users. Honestly, I don't expect this to come anywhere in the next years. It is a huge money generator for Odoo S.A so I don't think they'd ever want to change this probably.

Your pricing is wrong though, it is $1/line of code (which is still a lot ;-) )