This question has been flagged
9 Replies

an asset or liability account cannot be deleted when already set on a customer or product. I have such a case. I have gone through all the suppliers and products I have and tried deleting the entries. Despite that, I still have the same error report. Is it possible to do a dependency check or filter in order to know the specific problem, because no customer or product has the account entry again.

Discard
Best Answer

I had a similar issue with the 'account receivable' and 'account payable' accounts.It was a fresh DB without demo data and a custom COA but the default 'accounts was not getting deleted.

Solution is:

Goto Settings -->Technical -->Parameters --> Company Properties

Select the appropriate properties and inside the form you can see a 'Value' field:

Value    | account.account,17

The number at the end gives the reference to the default account. Change it to the new account's "id" you have in your custom COA by referring the database table 'account.account'.

Hope this helps you

Discard

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Best Answer

Once an account has Journal Entries (credits and debits), it cannot be deleted.

Discard
Author

what about at period end or end of accounting period? openerp should have a condition set for such. thanks

I don't understand. OpenERP won't allow you to delete (or edit) any Journal Entry from a period that is closed - is that what you mean?

Author

I can cancel journal entries but an account that was a receivable set on a customer refuses to be changed and won't even delete. up my wits end

The account either (1) has journal entries, (2) is as a property on a journal, (3) is set as a property of a company, (4) set as a property on an account template or (5) set as an account on another consolidated account.

Author

I'll keep this comment for reference. The account has journal entries and once validated, even if set to draft state, cannot be deleted but can be re-modified. Also, it has a view account (template?) as its parent and the only other options are views. Will allow it to survive, but learned a little today.

It is reconciled with another Journal entry? What is the error message you get when you try to delete? (ie: what does "cannot be deleted" mean?).

Then the message should read:

"Accounts with relations cannot be removed or deactivated: journal entries, journal property, company property, account template property, another consolidated account's account.

Or it should read "Accounts with relations cannot be removed or deactivated."

Regardless, the current message is wrong. It's not a big deal for experienced developers, but it is a misleading message.