This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi !

At first, I though that using the ean13 barcode as an unique reference to a product was a good choice. If you have two or more suppliers, you can't rely on their own reference to check if a product already exist or not in database. So the ean13 barcode came in mind, and I wrote a bunch of code relying on it.

But, what if the ean13 barcode is missing when the supplier gives you his list of product (let's say in a csv file) ? What if some barcodes are wrong, duplicated, wih only zero, ... ? That's when things start to going bad.

How do you handle this ?

Edit: I'm aware of the technical features openERP can gives us. I'm not asking for technical support, but for support on conceptual stuff.

I've though a lot on this, so I wanted to know how you people managed your data. How do you figure out if a product from supplier A is the same as a product from supplier B ? I think the barcode is the simplest way, but when your supplier gives you wrong barcodes, what workaround are you building ? Perhaps it's a confidential information, valuable or whatever, I don't know, I'm not an expert in information. Thanks anyway.

Discard

The book industry set up - since a long time - a common barcoding system named ISBN. Each book editor prints the code on the cover sheet. This is true for miilions of printed products over the world. The ISBN code is public and companies like Amazon refer to it. We daily refer to a db with 600 000 unique products, most of them with ISBN We would like Odoo to support ISBN (and its derivative ISMN (for notated music scores)) in addition/alternative to the EAN13.

Best Answer

Hello

As per my understanding you want to identify each product uniquely in your database. Let me know if iam wrong.

So i would suggest 2ways :

1. what if the ean13 barcode is missing when the supplier gives you his list of product (let's say in a csv file)

Solution: Make your barcode field =Mandatory(Required=True). So OpenERP wont allow user to import any csv if barcode is missing from csv file.

2.What if some barcodes are wrong, duplicated, wih only zero.

Solution: OpenERP have sql_constrain attribute which allows user to enter unique value in database.

Discard
Author

Thanks for your answer. I'm aware of the technical features openERP can gives us. I will edit my question.

Most logical in OpenERP seems to use the internal reference and for importing you compare ean13 first and if not valid add an internal reference.

Author

Thanks, I'll use something similar.

Best Answer

1) Is there any update on ISBN requests for odoo?

2) EAN13 in odoo should have leave the admin to decide whether to apply full EAN13 checks on constraints (constraints that are still unclear to me), or simply check whether a 13 numbers have been added in the field...

It seems there is the possibility to check the option "allow custom EAN" but I could not find the option

Discard