This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I want this:

ACME Global (Company)

-- ACME USA (Company

------ Paul Smith (Individual)

------ ACME California (Company)

-------------- John Smith (Individual)

As soon as I choose the Company checkbox, I can't see the Parent dropdown anymore.

Discard
Best Answer

The trick is to choose the parent BEFORE clicking the COMPANY checkbox:

• Create ACME Global:

• Create ACME USA, but choose ACME Global as the Parent BEFORE you click the COMPANY box:

• Do the same for ACME California:

• Add the other records as you normally would.  You will then see your structure correctly:

• With some added fields in the Tree View, you can see how your records are structured:

Note:

In this situation, each COMPANY is responsible for it's own Invoices.  Invoices for INDIVIDUALS will actually be booked to the Parent COMPANY.  So Invoices for ACME USA and Paul Smith would both be booked to ACME USA.  

(This can be changed, for example if you want ACME USA Invoices to be booked to ACME Global, with customization.  You need to expose the commercial_partner_id field and let users edit it.)

Discard

Ray, as always thank you for sharing your insight. This flexibility gives end customers the ability to solve the USE case when selling through the channel and wanting to know the end customer. But there is one minor limitation. I would love your input one. The display name of the end user currently takes the commercial partner & Name, instead of the related partner (parent_id) and name.

In the case of Paul Smith. In the card it will show

Name: Paul Smith

Related Name (Partner_id): Acme Global, AMME USA.

When using Paul as a contact in transactions. (Keeping in mind the commercial entity is ACME Global). the forms and reports the display name will be ACME GLOBAL, Paul Smith instead of the nested relationship ACME GLOBAL, ACME USA, Paul Smith.

The USE CASE here is Sell indirectly through a channel Parnter, know the end customer and the end user.

That SAID, it is really amazing the flexibility Odoo provides in managing contacts, parent_id and commericial partner. Kudo's to the product team :)

For Channel sales, we recommend leveraging the Resellers suite of Apps. See https://www.technaureus.com/odoo-website-partner-resellers-how-to-set-up-resellers-in-odoo-odoo-resellers-odoo-partners/ for some of the details

Ray, thank you for you input. After taking a deep dive into what you proposed. It is apples and oranges. The reseller App you suggested solves a different Use care. The reseller is simply a referral relationship. I can’t find any documentation to show otherwise.

Best Answer

I used studio to make the parent company field always visible, that way you can add a parent company to a company.

Discard

Can you help by telling which field you made visible for adding a parent company to a company