Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Moving desired changes from one database to another avoiding complete migration

By
umer farooq
on 10/23/13, 8:51 AM 1,702 views

Hello, So the next big thing which is worrying me alot that once i have setup everything on testing server now i am migrating my database to production server Ok it's working fine on production server too all setup nicely as it was on testing server. Now I need to make some changes in Testing server tested it got the desired output now i want to do it on production server as well I dont want make changes directly on production server Just want my testing server work to be copied there without migration of complete database.what's the solution i will have to move whole database again and restore it on production?? Yes it's a solution but it's not the smartest solution I reckon now what i want is just to move those files which are being changed during testing new things on Testing server how can I just avoid whole migration of database. Urgent plz.

The folder you are referring to in your question. Is it a folder in the addon folder or changes made in database such as adding customer or products to the database?

kaynis
on 10/23/13, 11:53 AM

No some technical things I do like I forgot to set My CASH journal to set ALLOW CANCELLING ENTRIES.Now I recall it and now I will have to mark it in Qc server now what to do like what i must copy or transfer to my production server to make it act like my testing server hope it clears a bit..

umer farooq
on 10/23/13, 11:58 AM

In my case we are not supposed to do any changes in production that's the main problem that's why i am looking for the frequent transportation of changes applied in Testing server whatever we change just those particular files move to Production server that's it.

umer farooq
on 10/23/13, 12:02 PM

the best option is to make the changes directly in the Qc server alternatively you can export the journal(s) in question and import them into the Qc database. When you export, make sure you select all the fields.

kaynis
on 10/23/13, 12:30 PM

kayins thank you for your response.But it's still a blur picture for me can you please expand it a little in terms of explanation what exactly the solution is..

umer farooq
on 10/23/13, 3:08 PM

If you have not setup this particular journal yet in your Qc server version already, simply open the test database where you have the journal setup and export the journal with all the information that goes with it. You will get a CSV file, save it and open the Qc database and go to the same module where the journal should be and import.

kaynis
on 10/24/13, 9:04 AM

@kaynis Thank you for your assistance but brother I am getting this error whenever itry to do it No matching record found for external id '__export__.account_invoice_11_1' in field 'Period' at row 2 Get all possible values

umer farooq
on 10/25/13, 11:01 AM

Try this. Open the CSV file and search which column contains the same text string. If it is not the id column then try not importing that column when you do your import.

kaynis
on 10/25/13, 11:22 AM

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 10/28/13, 10:39 PM

The best way is to write a module that encapsulates your changes in code and XML records.

You can then test this module in any number of databases before deploying the module in production.

Ray Carnes I tried for different solutions for moving desired changes to my production but I am failed in it I can't find any solution now How can I write a module that encapsulates my changes (I usually do changes through interface not from code) and I am using windows7 and openerpallinone setup file kindly help me in it.

umer farooq
on 12/13/13, 9:44 AM

Hello Ray Carnes. I am trying to develop my own custom module I am able to bring 2 new fields in (project.project) model.OK fine working. but now I want to create a field in (account.invoice) model what would I do I will have to write another custom module defining all the things about account.invoice?? please answer me :(

umer farooq
on 1/22/14, 11:47 AM

You can either add to your existing module or create a new one, depending on how the changes are related.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 1/22/14, 1:20 PM

Ok in my custom_module.py I have defined my fields in _inherit="project.project" and another _inherit="account.invoice" both are written and class is closed custom_fields(); what about xml?? how will I write it in a same file ??

umer farooq
on 1/22/14, 1:32 PM

Have a look at some of the examples - you can do separate files or one file. A python file contains one or more classes, an XML file contains one or more records to be inserted into the database. How you manage it is really up to you. A single XML file would just contain the contents of all other XML files, but they are separated logically or for maintenance purposes.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 1/22/14, 3:16 PM

Thanks man for your concern:) http://help.openerp.com/question/42257/finding-difficulties-in-writing-xml-files-for-my-custom-module/ kindly have a look at this question of mine if it gives you any clue about what I want it to be act like :) thank you and if you have any example of it kindly give me a link of it too :)

umer farooq
on 1/23/14, 10:25 AM

Thanks man for your concern:) http://help.openerp.com/question/42257/finding-difficulties-in-writing-xml-files-for-my-custom-module/ kindly have a look at this question of mine if it gives you any clue about what I want it to be act like :) thank you and if you have any example of it kindly give me a link of it too :)

umer farooq
on 1/24/14, 8:57 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/23/13, 8:51 AM
Seen: 1702 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM