Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Modifying Invoice Templates & Creating Multiple Invoice Templates in Odoo v8

By
David Birchmier
on 12/26/14, 2:32 PM 8,392 views

I am attempting to learn how to modify invoice templates in Odoo v8. I have searched these forums and read a lot of different information but I am unclear as to the proper procedure in Odoo v8. 

I'll start off with what I have already tried:

1. Using the HTML WYSIWIG editor to modify invoices
    I found information in other posts about modifying invoices this way.
    Here are the steps I followed:
        #1 Go to Settings > Reports > Reports > Invoices and change the Report Type from PDF to HTML
        #2 Go to Accounting > Customer Invoices > Open an Invoice > Print > "Invoices" 
        #3 A  new pop-up window appears. This window does have the HTML WYSIWIG editor enabled. 
        #4 If I make modifications here and change things, then AFTER hitting SAVE it does NOT make these changes permanent.           I.e. I I open another invoice and select Print > Invoices again then I see the original default template. 

QUESTION #1: How do you make changes you make using the WYSIWIG editor actually save permanently to the invoice template?
    EDIT: I was wrong. This is actually working just fine. I was trying to modify the HEADER/FOOTER areas which you can NOT edit via the HTML Editor while viewing an invoice. 

2. Edit QWeb Views
    I also found some information in the forums about modifying invoices in this way. 
    Here are the steps I followed:
       #1 Go to Settings > Reports > Reports Invoices
       #2 Select "Search Associated QWeb Views"
       #3 Click on "report_invoice_document"
       #4 Modify the HTML layout
       #5 After modifying this layout I was successful in seeing my changes outputted to the invoice template. However, through modifying the invoice template in this way I was NOT able to edit the invoice header. I assume I must modify this elsewhere and will add details about that in the next item. 

QUESTION #2: Where do I modify the header that effects Invoices? 
    EDIT: I have answered this in my reply/answer below. 

3. Modifying the Invoice Header
    Since I was unable to modify the invoice header in the QWeb Views "report_invoice_document" I searched for where to modify it. 
    These are the steps I followed:
       #1 Settings > Companies > Companies > "Company Name" > Report Configuration (tab) 
       #2 I modified the HTML for RML header. 
       #3 When I previewed it within the "Report Configuration Tab" it looked CORRECT. 
       #4 HOWEVER, these header modifications did NOT take effect in the actual invoice. 

QUESTION #3: Which of these two methods (QWeb View vs. WYSIWIG) is the proper way to edit invoices in Odoo? Or, is there another, better way to do it?
    EDIT: It is correct to use either the QWeb View -or- the WYSIWIG mode. They both effect each other. I found the QWebView/HTML Editing to be the only option to get the results I wanted. 

4. Multiple Invoice Templates
    I would like to have two different invoice templates that appear when selecting "Print" from the drop down menu.  I am not sure the correct way to do this. I did try duplicating the "Invoices" item under Settings > Reports. The new item did not appear under the "Print" menu so I assume I am not doing this correctly. 

QUESTION #4: What are the proper steps to create multiple invoice templates that can be utlized via the "Print" menu? 
David Birchmier
On 12/27/14, 8:53 PM

I have answered a few of these questions myself. 

ANSWER TO #3: Modifying the Invoice Header  

In v8 (Presumably because it now uses QWeb Views) you must edit the invoice HEADER via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_header

The FOOTER can be edited via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_footer

ANSWER TO #4: Multiple Invoice Templates

I created a step-by-step guide with screenshots to help save others time.

Here's the guide to Create Multiple Invoice Templates in Odoo v8:
http://www.askmpa.com/creating-multiple-invoice-templates-in-odoo-v8/

Thank You. Worked perfectly!

Tobias Frankl
on 12/28/14, 4:59 AM

Thank you David!

Dale
on 10/12/15, 1:47 PM

David, your method for multiple report works perfectly. My main worry is this is will not be tied to a module am developing, that is, if i want to do multiple reports on the deployment environment, i will have to follow same process that i did while developing on my local machine. Is there a way to use code such that the template can be automatically loaded so that i can have multiple xml corresponding to multiple report formats? New to odoo, using v9

Fongoh Tayong
on 2/4/16, 8:43 AM
aci aisha
On 1/16/15, 4:36 AM

I have answered a few of these questions myself. 

ANSWER TO #3: Modifying the Invoice Header  

In v8 (Presumably because it now uses QWeb Views) you must edit the invoice HEADER via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_header

The FOOTER can be edited via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_footer

ANSWER TO #4: Multiple Invoice Templates

I created a step-by-step guide with screenshots to help save others time.

Here's the guide to Create Multiple Invoice Templates in Odoo v8:
http://www.askmpa.com/creating-multiple-invoice-templates-in-odoo-v8/

P.V.Anthony
On 8/28/16, 8:00 AM

Thank you all for sharing the knowledge. The answers above have been very useful and saved much time. More time for the family.

Martin
On 1/15/15, 12:51 PM

Hi David,

thanks for that guide, helped a lot. I followed guide in answer #4 and everything works OK, only problem I have is that I cannot print invoice with new template as PDF. When I print to HTML (popup window), everything is OK, but when I change report type to PDF, invoice is printed using default template no matter what template I selected by Print button. Have you tried to print template created with your guide to PDF, does it work for you?

EDIT: Solved by unchecking Reload from Attachement checkbox in Report settings (first screen of the guide).

Good job Martin - You got it!

David Birchmier
on 1/18/15, 1:20 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

6 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/26/14, 2:32 PM
Seen: 8392 times
Last updated: 10/21/16, 6:27 AM