This question has been flagged
8 Replies

I am attempting to learn how to modify invoice templates in Odoo v8. I have searched these forums and read a lot of different information but I am unclear as to the proper procedure in Odoo v8. 

I'll start off with what I have already tried:

1. Using the HTML WYSIWIG editor to modify invoices
    I found information in other posts about modifying invoices this way.
    Here are the steps I followed:
        #1 Go to Settings > Reports > Reports > Invoices and change the Report Type from PDF to HTML
        #2 Go to Accounting > Customer Invoices > Open an Invoice > Print > "Invoices" 
        #3 A  new pop-up window appears. This window does have the HTML WYSIWIG editor enabled. 
        #4 If I make modifications here and change things, then AFTER hitting SAVE it does NOT make these changes permanent.           I.e. I I open another invoice and select Print > Invoices again then I see the original default template. 

QUESTION #1: How do you make changes you make using the WYSIWIG editor actually save permanently to the invoice template?
    EDIT: I was wrong. This is actually working just fine. I was trying to modify the HEADER/FOOTER areas which you can NOT edit via the HTML Editor while viewing an invoice. 

2. Edit QWeb Views
    I also found some information in the forums about modifying invoices in this way. 
    Here are the steps I followed:
       #1 Go to Settings > Reports > Reports Invoices
       #2 Select "Search Associated QWeb Views"
       #3 Click on "report_invoice_document"
       #4 Modify the HTML layout
       #5 After modifying this layout I was successful in seeing my changes outputted to the invoice template. However, through modifying the invoice template in this way I was NOT able to edit the invoice header. I assume I must modify this elsewhere and will add details about that in the next item. 

QUESTION #2: Where do I modify the header that effects Invoices? 
    EDIT: I have answered this in my reply/answer below. 

3. Modifying the Invoice Header
    Since I was unable to modify the invoice header in the QWeb Views "report_invoice_document" I searched for where to modify it. 
    These are the steps I followed:
       #1 Settings > Companies > Companies > "Company Name" > Report Configuration (tab) 
       #2 I modified the HTML for RML header. 
       #3 When I previewed it within the "Report Configuration Tab" it looked CORRECT. 
       #4 HOWEVER, these header modifications did NOT take effect in the actual invoice. 

QUESTION #3: Which of these two methods (QWeb View vs. WYSIWIG) is the proper way to edit invoices in Odoo? Or, is there another, better way to do it?
    EDIT: It is correct to use either the QWeb View -or- the WYSIWIG mode. They both effect each other. I found the QWebView/HTML Editing to be the only option to get the results I wanted. 

4. Multiple Invoice Templates
    I would like to have two different invoice templates that appear when selecting "Print" from the drop down menu.  I am not sure the correct way to do this. I did try duplicating the "Invoices" item under Settings > Reports. The new item did not appear under the "Print" menu so I assume I am not doing this correctly. 

QUESTION #4: What are the proper steps to create multiple invoice templates that can be utlized via the "Print" menu? 
Discard
Author Best Answer

I have answered a few of these questions myself. 

ANSWER TO #3: Modifying the Invoice Header  

In v8 (Presumably because it now uses QWeb Views) you must edit the invoice HEADER via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_header

The FOOTER can be edited via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_footer

ANSWER TO #4: Multiple Invoice Templates

I created a step-by-step guide with screenshots to help save others time.

Here's the guide to Create Multiple Invoice Templates in Odoo v8:
http://www.askmpa.com/creating-multiple-invoice-templates-in-odoo-v8/

Discard

Thank You. Worked perfectly!

Thank you David!

David, your method for multiple report works perfectly. My main worry is this is will not be tied to a module am developing, that is, if i want to do multiple reports on the deployment environment, i will have to follow same process that i did while developing on my local machine. Is there a way to use code such that the template can be automatically loaded so that i can have multiple xml corresponding to multiple report formats? New to odoo, using v9

Best Answer

I have answered a few of these questions myself. 

ANSWER TO #3: Modifying the Invoice Header  

In v8 (Presumably because it now uses QWeb Views) you must edit the invoice HEADER via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_header

The FOOTER can be edited via: Settings > Technical > User Interface > Views > external_layout_footer

ANSWER TO #4: Multiple Invoice Templates

I created a step-by-step guide with screenshots to help save others time.

Here's the guide to Create Multiple Invoice Templates in Odoo v8:
http://www.askmpa.com/creating-multiple-invoice-templates-in-odoo-v8/

Discard
Best Answer

Thank you all for sharing the knowledge. The answers above have been very useful and saved much time. More time for the family.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi David,

thanks for that guide, helped a lot. I followed guide in answer #4 and everything works OK, only problem I have is that I cannot print invoice with new template as PDF. When I print to HTML (popup window), everything is OK, but when I change report type to PDF, invoice is printed using default template no matter what template I selected by Print button. Have you tried to print template created with your guide to PDF, does it work for you?

EDIT: Solved by unchecking Reload from Attachement checkbox in Report settings (first screen of the guide).

Discard
Author

Good job Martin - You got it!