Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

[Missing feature] setting the website offline in odoo 8

Lucas Huber
on 7/19/14, 12:49 PM 2,515 views

The new website modules of odoo are great, but I miss deeply one small feature. As in Joomla for instance it should be possible to set the website offline. Without this feature I can hardly imagine, a company will be very happy, if for intance they already uses the ERP function and wanting to start build the their website, that the whole procedure of building this site is possibly going on in public. Or are there any workarounds?

I agree it would be a valuable feature.

Stephen Mack
on 7/19/14, 12:58 PM

I think many companies have a process for building and publishing websites. They would not normally work on a production server, instead having a duplicate 'staging' server. Then they would push changes to the production server during off-hours.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 8/4/14, 8:19 PM

True but if you need to bring down the website fast (such as it's been hacked) it would be nice to have something. However the more that I think about it, if you are configured via a reverse proxy then you already have that feature.

Stephen Mack
on 8/4/14, 8:24 PM

You could try submitting this as a request on GitHub issues.

Leonardo Donelli
on 8/5/14, 6:52 AM

My consideration about Stephen and Rays comments: What you suggest if I have already my odoo running without CMS (website) and want to start building it?? I see the only workaround, without this feature, to change the URL to un unknow own, but this is not the solution yet.

Lucas Huber
on 8/6/14, 10:09 AM
Rui Andrada
On 12/25/14, 10:48 PM

This feature is not missing anymore, I've developed a module to get site in maintenance mode when needed.

The module is available from my github repository https://github.com/shingonoide/odoo_ezdoo/tree/master/addons/website_maintenance

I have some users which needs turn website offline until is ready to public and think this module do the job well.

I hope it helps you too.

P.S. If you think the answer was useful, please up vote my answer.

Nicely done. Can you put html in your optional message field?

Stephen Mack
on 12/26/14, 4:36 AM

No, the field is just for you customize a simple message to visitor. Soon as possible, I think to allow edit the 503 error page from website editor.

Rui Andrada
on 12/26/14, 5:55 PM

You can always edit the full html template in Settings / Technical / User Interface / Views, then search for 503 in search box and edits the view as you need. Be careful, you have to know how to change Odoo xml view.

Rui Andrada
on 12/26/14, 6:41 PM

@Rui, Great work! I've forked this to add a few features I need personally such as a custom HTML page and a countdown timer using flipclock.js (http://flipclockjs.com/).

Luke Branch
on 12/26/14, 9:37 PM

Thanks a lot Rui, that's very useful.

Lucas Huber
on 12/27/14, 5:51 AM

Maybe you could change the habit that your module is hiding website settings from other admins then the superadmin?

Lucas Huber
on 1/17/15, 8:02 AM
Kristina E.D.
On 4/6/15, 3:15 AM

Hello all!

I can't find the module "website_maintenance" or similar in the apps list or community modules list in Odoo. At the moment I'm not able to access the server via FTP in order to load there custom module on this even if our Odoo instance is running in a server we have acquired (not SaaS).

Anybody knows if there is any changes on this by Odoo official team? This seems to be core functionalities in most of CMS Systems that you can hide the site or individual pages while you are editing them and building a site. It's a very crucial and basic feature, and in this way it should be a core functionality, not something that people need to make as a custom functionality.

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 8/20/14, 10:55 AM

Technically not an answer but I can't post images in comments so please forgive me odoo gods.

Well odoo has something for themselves.  Not sure that it is built into odoo or something else.  But I captured this screen during the v8rc1 upgrade yesterday.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

7 follower(s)

Asked: 7/19/14, 12:49 PM
Seen: 2515 times
Last updated: 4/6/15, 3:36 AM