This question has been flagged
3 Replies

How do I bring something which is not offensive to the attention of the moderators? For example a post with no question, or a misleading title.

Edit - Not necessarily something which warrants the closing of the thread or a negative vote.

Discard

+1 flaging moderator's attention would be great

Best Answer

Keep in mind that everyone can be more or less a moderator: the more you earn Karma, the more you gain grants (for example, with 75 karma, you gain the grant to edit wiki questions and answers).

I'm a bit annoyed by the term 'moderated' in this regard, the edits of the questions / answers are a way to correct or to improve them. You should compare this place with a wiki rather than a forum in this respect.

According to the level of offensiveness and comprehensiveness of a question, and the grants you earned, you can:

• Downvote (a question with a negative vote will brings attention) (currently: 10 karma)
  • Edit the question to improve it (it implies that the question is sufficiently comprehensible and could potentially be interesting) (currently: 75 karma)
  • Flag offensive (currently: 100 karma) (note that users with 300 karma can see the questions with an offensive flag)
  • Close the question (currently: 900 karma)
  • Delete the question (currently: 1000 karma)

Beside that, few users (moderators) have all these rights even if they do not have the required karma.

I think that if you just want to raise attention on a non-offensive question, but which needs, for example, a better title you should:

• If you have less than 75 karma: add a comment on the question with your edit proposition.
  • As soon as you earned 75 karma, you can edit yourself the question to improve the title.
  • In all cases, add a comment referring to the FAQ :-)
Discard

If I try to close a question, I have the following message: Sorry, to close other people' posts, a minimum reputation of 750 is required So I guess it is 750 of karma instead of 900. Unless there is a bug somewhere. Or the FAQ isn't up to date.

Best Answer

I'm affraid AskBot doesn't implement this feature (flag as something else than "offensive" or "vote close")... The best you can do so far is to downvote the question and/or add a comment refering to the FAQ.

Discard
Author

It seems adding a comment referring to the FAQ is probably the most straight forward way at the moment. Nevertheless a more general flag would be great.

I agree, but we're not allowed to spend time developping custom features for Askbot.

And, forgive my ignorance, why using Askbot instead of something more like the StackExchange sites? Comparing them I see that many options available on SO aren't available here.

Agreed, but this is more a question for @Fabien Pinckaers. You'll find some elements of answer in one of the Area51 proposal's announcements.

I'm already following the Area51 proposal

Well I can't provide more information than that, sorry. You should directly address your question to Fabien or perhaps Antony.

Best Answer

You can close the question (I do not know if you have the rights to do this?)

Discard

Closing questions seems to be at 750 of karma, otherwise you have to be moderator.

Also, closing a question isn't always the answer: sometimes, a bad question diserves attention and even, perhaps, an answer.