Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Menu not visible to new user even after following the steps

By
Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 6:06 AM 4,228 views

EDIT: I have created a new module with its own menu structure using the following xml:

<menuitem name="MyMenuRoot" id="base.menu_mymenuroot" sequence="10"/>

The menu structure appears just fine when I am logged in as admin. Now I want to apply restrictions to user access.

So as per the guides, I followed these steps:

1. Created a new group. Only specified a name and left everything else as is.

2. Created a new user. Specified name, login name and checked the checkbox that appeared for the new group I created in step 1. Also set a password for the user.

3. Went to User Interface -> Menu Items. Clicked the top node of the menu hierarchy that I had defined for my module. In Groups tab I added the new group as well as Admin groups.

4. Logged in with the new user. The menu was not visible.

5. Then I added child menus of the top node of the menu hierarchy. And then grand-child (leaf) menu items. No luck.

Menu only appears when I give object-level access rights. But that is too tedious for me to explain to my client. As per the manuals the steps I took should work.

Please suggest how to set menu level rights without setting object level rights.

I am doing all this from the interface not xml.

EDIT:

I opened Warehouse menu item and added the new group to it. I logged in with the new user and was able to see the Warehouse menu.

That probably means it is a menu-configuration issue somewhere??

Add employee group to access the new module field and see if that works but make sure the new user is also added as an employee too.

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 6:30 AM

I have not installed HR module as I don't need it for my project. Secondly, if being an employee was a requirement, object level rights should not have worked.

Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 7:13 AM

Not saying that being an employee is a requirement, but that is the lowest level of access and if it works then something in your access level group is not right.

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 7:15 AM

I just posted an edit that I was able to see the Warehouse menu when I added this group to the Warehouse menu item. Also, I created an Employee and linked it to the user but it only added the Human Resource menu. Where should I go from here?

Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 7:18 AM

I hope I understand your question a bit (i think). You have a field that is from your custom module that you cannot see if you are not logged in as an administrator, right? if that is it, locate fields under Customization--Database Structure and edit it by adding your group under Security tab. I am assuming you did not set a group restriction in the xml code because if a group restriction (group = "base.group_xyz") is set on the top menu in xml code then you will not be able to see this menu if you are not in this preset group.

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 7:47 AM

Thanks for your assistance. No, I am unable to see the entire menu. So I created a whole menu structure in my view.xml. E.g. MyMenuRoot with children and grandchildren Child1/GrandChild1, Child2/GrandChild2 etc. MyMenuRoot itself is not visible to the new user.

Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 8:00 AM

Thanks for your continued assistance. Why would the menu work for the admin login if xml had a problem? Secondly, all of the top menu items like Warehouse, Reporting etc. have upper case letters.

Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 8:18 AM

Then there should not be a problem with the module. Can you locate name (primary field) field from the module under Customization--Data structure Fields and like I suggested earlier, add your group under security

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 8:23 AM

Sorry thought you could not see the menu at all but realized the admin could. Took that suggestion out already. my bad. If you give access to the group in the model then the group should start seeing your menu i think. Admin (configuration right) has automatic access right to everything. If you can give access right to the fields or the model (higher level) then you will see it

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 8:26 AM

Thanks. When you say model do you mean a specific object or the custom module that I created? If it is the custom module, how do I go about giving access right? If you mean object then which object as I have overriden many like stock.picking.in, account.invoice etc.? Are you saying there is no way to avoid giving rights on individual objects?

Raza Ali
on 12/20/13, 8:52 AM

Your custom module. In your python code, there is a name for your module eg product.product and I would think there are fields (columns) in this module too like name (which will have characteristics like size, type and field name). This model name (product.product) and field name (name which is the primary key) can be access in the web client if you go settings--customization--Data Structure Models and Fields respectively. If you open the model and locate your model name you can give access to the group here under access rights. If you open field you can do same under Security.

kaynis
on 12/20/13, 9:04 AM

Issue not solved even after following the ir.model.access.csv approach. Posting a new question.

Raza Ali
on 12/23/13, 3:30 AM
eoin ahern
On 2/23/14, 7:53 AM

can view top menu at all as admin user in openerp 7.0? whats going on? this is very frustrating

a.schenkels
On 2/23/14, 4:06 PM

If you don't have any rights to the object why should you be able to see the menu item? You wouldn't be able to open it anyway! That's the reason you should have at least read rights to the object you want to open.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/20/13, 6:06 AM
Seen: 4228 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM