This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Does Odoo have a limitation concerning the maximum number of attributes assigned to a product?

Discard

Can you be more specific in your question? What is it you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to create new fields for the product? If so, I don't think there is a set limit but I also don't think you will ever hit that limit if there is one.

I try to find out if Odoo is suitable for my needs. We have different kinds of products, al with their different sets of attributes.
From what I've read, Odoo creates a new column for every field I add to the product.
Let's say we have 10 types of products with each of them having up to 100 attributes, that makes up to 1000 extra columns. In that case we might run into problems because of the limits of Postgres?

op 07-07-14 17:00, Ludo - Neobis schreef:
<blockquote cite="mid:1404745213.966319084167480.183261975761301-openerp-56567-forum.post@openerp.v7.openerp.com" type="cite">

Can you be more specific in your question? What is it you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to create new fields for the product? If so, I don't think there is a set limit but I also don't think you will ever hit that limit if there is one.

--
Ludo - Neobis Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo
Author

I try to find out if Odoo is suitable for my needs. We have different kinds of products, al with their different sets of attributes. From what I've read, Odoo creates a new column for every field I add to the product. Let's say we have 10 types of products with each of them having up to 100 attributes, that makes up to 1000 extra columns. In that case we might run into problems because of the limits of Postgres?

Best Answer

If you are defining your attributes using the module product_custom_attributes (v.6.1 or 7), then you are right that it does create a new column for every attribute you add, and you may incur in the postgres limit of maximum columns per table (the limit is actually on the row size), which is between 250 and 1600 depending on the type of fields.

If, instead, you are using the product variant attributes of Odoo 8 then no: they are stored in the tables product_attribute, product_attribute_line, product_attribute_value and each attribute/attribute value/attribute line is a line in these tables, so you won't have any limit.

Discard
Best Answer

If you are planning on using these attributes in filters in the ecommerce front-end to help customers refine their product interests then you will be in trouble, as attributes shown in the attribute filter are ALL the attributes from ALL the products - i.e. if you have product categories of computers and monitors then the attribute list will always show as :- processor speed (2,3,5 GHZ etc), RAM (16,32,64GB etc) screen size (17",21",27" etc) speakers (none,mono,stereo etc) regardless of what product category you are in. Thus the attribute filter currently is not useful for refining product interest once inside a category. If you are proposing to have many attributes for many different kinds of product category then the attributes filter will rapidly become unusably massive.

Discard