This question has been flagged
9 Replies

Is it possible to have many instances of OpenERP installed on the same machine or just with virtualization ?

Thanks

Discard

Do you want multiple installations of OpenERP (ie. several OpenERP servers installed concurrently), or do you want several instances of the same version of OpenERP (ie. several databases)?

Author

I want multiple installations of OpenERP, is it possible with oerpenv ?

Best Answer

Yes, this is possible. The basic is:

1. Each instance should have its own user and home directory for security
  2. Each instance should be run on different ports
  3. Setup an HTTP proxy (Apache or NginX could be used) to proxy HTTP requests to the appropriate instance. E.g. xxx.company.com will be forwarded to openerpserver:8069 and yyy.company.com will be forwarded to openerpserver:8169
  4. Each instance should have its own PostgreSQL account for security reason.
Discard

David lists all more important points. If you need many, doing it manually is error prone and you may be interested in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lKIHZcc3TFOUrjQebQ-sVyQ000mIv9gkxJSbCt0JQjE/edit?usp=sharing At SISalp, we host up to 200 separate instances per virtual machine with this tool.

xoe from SISalp is a GREAT TOOL !! I recommend it 1000%

Best Answer

Yess you can install many instance of ERP on a server.

Discard
Best Answer

Yes you can, you can do it with virtualenv or with oerpenv

https://launchpad.net/oerpenv

Discard
Best Answer

Just in addition, if you install more than one instance of OpenERP server u should instantiate different ports to avoid conflicts.

Discard
Best Answer

Hello,

Regarding "Each instance should have its own PostgreSQL account for security reason", I believe it is not enough and I even wonder if one shouldn't even have a separate Postgres server.

Actually, OpenERP postgres user is created as superuser (at leat by Odoo Windows installer). Thus, even with a dedicated user, each instance can access db instances of other users.

I realized that when I installed Odoo v8 which could list v7 db instances whereas it connects to PostgreSQL server with its own user (and it did not like instrospecting v7 db instances at all ...)

So, I uncheked 'superuser' option. From there, v8 instance could not list v7 databases. But, when restoring db dump, pg_restore complained it could not delete and recreate 'public' role ... which explains why db user is created as super user by default.

Mathieu

Discard