This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Hi, 

I am wondering why can i register expiration dates details only when using lot numbers? why the two are linked? what if I just want to store expiration date to the quantity of the product I am receiving without assigning a lot number to the quantity?

Discard
Best Answer

It is a general practice. For example, you run a medical store and your supplier provides you 10 boxes of panadol with expiry in 2018 and 10 boxes of panadol with expiry of 2019. how will you differentiate between them? so the expiry is always linked with internal or vendor LOT or Batch number. you assign a specific expiry date to specific lot and not the product. 

Discard
Best Answer

If you want to assign information to a certain quantity of products received, you need an entity which defines this particular quantity of products received. Such an entity is usually called "lot".

Discard
Author Best Answer

Why give the quantity a name! or a number!. Can not I just give it a "Date"!

I think it's the same thing. assigning a number, a name or a date to the quantity is a way to identify it. Do not you think?

Discard

You have asked your question, you have got your answer. If you believe a wheel should be square, you are free to invent a square wheel. For the rest of the world a round wheel works perfectly. Please learn more about the matter first. Besides that, this is not a discussion forum and your original question is not even Odoo-related, but general business praxis.