This question has been flagged
5 Replies

Aren't you noticed that for medium/big complex Odoo projects/deployments the developments or maintenance are slow because of frequently update of modules that also updates their depends modules?

Odoo module updates sometimes are slow but necessary, but there are cases where one update could take hours due to large data loading from xml or csv when you just needed to add a field or a couple of changes, you may end drinking more coffee because of the waiting message that appears every time you clic the update button of the module form view.

There are tools for view edition when you activate the developer tools located at the User menu/About Odoo at the top right that adds the debug param in your url location href. That works ok for views/templates/qweb reports but when you are doing a bunch of changes in a module(including python code changes) and you wanna see all your changes updated but an update is needed then you will see what I'm talking about it

You could say: "But my xml records are with <data noupdate='1'>", ok, It will be slow anyway, because Odoo needs to inspect your xml files to determine if you delete a record from your xml files to raise an unlink for that deleted records.

How can this be solved?

What other options are out there for speed up developments or maintenance updates?

Discard
Author Best Answer

I offer you solution that solve the problem by adding a button to the form/tree view of the module that allow you to update only that module without update any other module, just the one where you clic on it.

To make it real you need to download/install this module

https://www.odoo.com/apps/modules/8.0/solt_odoo_update/ 

After install it you will see a button named "Update this Only" in the form view or also in the tree. After an update a full refresh is not issue so if you add new menus you need to press f5 by yourself to see them, that allow you to continue with module updates without refreshing the page every time you update something through the new button

Hope this helps, Please comment if you know any other solution to this problems, and also if you find this helpful you can vote

Discard

Do you have any updates for version 9?

Best Answer

Really interesting module and what we are looking for. Yes, for the large legacy system, update a small part in view of some module that was heavily depends on was a real pain.

This module  definitely helpful.

Discard
Best Answer

Create several modules.

Don't mix data loading and user experience changes in modules - then you can update the data modules only when the data changes.

Without large amounts of data, modules update in several minutes, never hours. 

After the data is loaded, why would you need to update it if it hasn't changed?

Discard
Author

I just mention some of the possible scenarios that could happens that made desireable to update just one module. I face it in some legacy projects and integrated developments where updating all module dependencies could be risky and time consuming