Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

is this really ready for businesses?

Robbie Blackwell
on 8/22/13, 7:43 PM 1,128 views

Hello, I have been doing a little research about life after quickbooks. Looking into openerp xtuple openbravo and some others.

I found this old forum post forum.openerp.com/forum/post50451.html which I thought was quite interesting, but that was also over 3 years ago. There was mention of it not being good for anglo-saxon accounting, which I think means north American businesses right?

NIcolas Plée
On 8/24/13, 1:04 PM

Well actually, it is neither for French accounting... i start wondering if OpenERP has any value out of the box. It's very buggy and not much information is available online except for very simple requests concerning installation.

To get something basically working, you still need some big work to be done on OpenERP. So really OpenERP is opensource but as it has so many bugs and so much adaptation needed for a basical use, you definitely need to pay either OpenERP or one of their partners to get something working.

This is only how I feel and I would very much like to be wrong but after a few months of tests I'm really and sadly thinking to go to something else (Tryton maybe an option but I haven't done enough tests at the moment).

Metrolux Gmbh, Andreas Marpmann
on 8/24/13, 2:21 PM

Thank you Andreas. but this is still official communication from OpenERP. Problems with accountancy seem to go further than this according to a few posts I rode on the internet from Alexis De Lattre (Akretion) and some user named Kellogs on old OpenERP forum. I'm not allowed to post links but I will as soon as I get enough karma points. I'd be very glad to get the impression from somebody that does use french accountancy and was able to set it up by himself.

NIcolas Plée
on 8/26/13, 7:00 AM

just remove the http:// and you can post links (i'm a new user with no karma and it worked in my original post) Nicolas, thanks for your input. I think I'll likely have to pass. Maybe it's ironic to say this, but I wish there was some kind of opensource erp with the momentum and ease of setup as magento (ecommerce). Yes it has its quirks and development hurdles. But out of the box it is pretty solid.

Robbie Blackwell
on 8/26/13, 7:26 PM

Well the web pages are in French as they concern french accountancy : forum.openerp.com/forum/topic35718.html --> Announce for the creation of a new module that was never developed I guess (you can have the details of the module in English in launchpad link) and people.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/openerp/ --> Analysis of OpenERP by Alexis De Lattre that is really interesting not only for accountancy but to understand better the pros and cons of OpenERP (sadly in French only).

NIcolas Plée
on 8/29/13, 9:47 AM
Andreas Marpmann
On 8/24/13, 11:04 AM

Maybe this help to check it out: openerp.com/apps/7.0/account_anglo_saxon/

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Asked: 8/22/13, 7:43 PM
Seen: 1128 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM