This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I'm wondering If there is a SKU field for product.

Is there SKU field for product?

or Do I need to download module for that?

Thank you

Discard
Best Answer

The default unit of measure as defined in the "General" tab of the product is used for all stock operations and therefore is the equivalent of an SKU.

Discard
Author

@Ermin Trevisan

I don't understand "the default unit of measure is equivalent of an SKU". Is unit of measure is just a measurement? like kg, litter, cm?

How can this be equivalent of an SKU?

Sorry, I try to explain it better: in Odoo a SKU is a stockable product (variant) with its default UoM. Example: I buy wine in boxes at 6, sell it by the bottle or by the glass and keep inventory in bottles, therefore the SKU is the wine bottle.

And bottle is the default UoM.

Author

@Erime Trevisan hmm... So then what you are saying is that I can specify each product with the UoM as a unique id like White iPhone 6 with UoM "w-iphone6" and Black iPhone 6 with UoM "b-iphone6". Have I got that right?

No. In your example, the UoM is always Unit(s). But you have different products, one product (or SKU in my understanding) is the white iPhone, another one is the black iPhone. If a customer orders a black iPhone, you have to deliver a black iPhone, for that you need to have a black iPhone on stock and in order to have the proper stock, you need to buy black iPhones.The same is valid for white iPhones. In Odoo these are product variants, but each variant is a SKU. In such cases the SKU is evident. In cases where UoMs are different, it is not so evident anymore. Let's take Coca Cola Zero. It is always the same product (it has no different colors, tastes whatsoever, it is Cola Zero). But you may have many different UoMs. Bottles of different sizes, cans, sixpacks, cartons etc.

Easy example: you sell Cola Zero in cans and in sixpacks. In that case it is most probably the best way to define Cola Zero can as the SKU. To do that, you define "can" as the default UoM for Cola Zero.

Author

That was detailed explanation with examples! Thank @ermin Trevisan!!!