Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Is the POS Restaurant a real commercial solution?

By
Bernard Wilmus
on 1/4/16, 5:07 AM 797 views

Hi,

I have installed the restaurant module on Odoo 9 to make a demo to some prospects.
The floor plan feature is wonderful and I was really excited thinking about the new opportunities the module could offer.

But after one hour of test, I discovered that this module is far far away from a professionnal solution.

Menus

As far that I have seen there is no way to create Menus and to encode orders with meals included in a menu (price fixed by the choosen menu).

Doneness range (rare,medium,etc.)

If I encode a meat in the article catalog how do I set up the possible doneness range (rare,medium,etc.)? Donenes range is different depending on the meat type (beef, veal, duck,...)

Meal options

If a meal can be served with pasta or with potatoes? with a peper sauce or a mushrooms sauce? How can I handle that in both article catalog and the encoding of an order? And what if I want my pizza regina without olive?

Services

Now you have a table with 3 persons and one of them order a starter and a main course, the second only a main course and the third would like a starter and a second starter as a main course. How will you handle this? There is no way to create an order with a notion of "services" sequence. How can you send this information to the kitchen?

Those are the 4 problems that I have seen in less than one hour... and I am not a restaurant manager.

Please comment this question or give me some answers. This module has some potential but really needs to be improved...

Fabrice Henrion (fhe)

--Fabrice Henrion (fhe)--
| 7 7 8
San Francisco, United States
--Fabrice Henrion (fhe)--

Director Odoo USA

Fabrice Henrion (fhe)
On 1/7/16, 12:46 AM

You can do all this out of the box:

Menus: Just have products that are the menus and have a price to it, and other products that are the content and have a price of 0. You can even name them so that they are indented if you want a fancy receipt. And if you use Odoo Inventory your stock will still be correct. You can easily organize your categories to make sure that the cashier uses the allowed content to the menu.

Meat temperature: Use the modifier, or if you don't want to type, use a product with price 0 that is "under" the selected meat in the category tree similarly as for Menus.

Meal Options: This one is the one that is not perfect I'll admit. You can emulate this with a well thought-out category tree but there are limitations for complicated options structures. Most generally, the limitation of the POS v9 has to do with conditions in general.

Services: Double click the POS line to turn it green or purple depending on if you want to hold sending it to the kitchen or not. Decide when you send to the kitchen. Decide when you release the rest. This requires that you configure your pos station and the corresponding product correctly.

Those are some possibilities that comes to my mind, there are others. Don't develop custom modules for no reason.

Daniele Favara
On 1/5/16, 2:09 PM

@Ermin Trevisan: i'm interested in joining efforts. I'm a system integrator with 10 year of experience in POS system for both retail and FNB. I'm available to improve available features and release them to the community. I mainly need help and suggestions on how to add features to existing modules ( if deriving them or hacking - ex: hw_proxy, hw_escpos and so on )

I recently released a module to support Italian Fiscal Printer that uses epos-Print XML protocol.

How do we want to proceed ?

Bernard Wilmus
On 1/4/16, 10:37 AM

"Usually a table order with different courses is self explanatory": Usually yes but I have been more than once in a restaurant with a vegetarian person that was having 2 starters in place of a starter and a main course. In that case the client is expecting to receive the second starter at the same time that the main course of the other poeple around the table. Same could happen with someone on a diet that takes only a starter and wants to be served at the same time than others having only a main course.

Here is a solution with a "to follow..." feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMA8N17Dms0

An other thing that customer could expect is a "table booking" feature.

I do exactly understand, that's why I said "Usually" and also provided a possible solution. The "to follow" feature of Agilorg points in the same direction, but would also need a forward porting to 9.0. What do you mean by "table booking"? Regular table management is included, but if you mean online booking (website) then you would need other means (developing a specific module or using the event management module). Many restaurant owners don't want their guests to directly reserve seats, but want to allocate the tables manually. And many of them take advantage of online table booking platforms.

Ermin Trevisan
on 1/5/16, 3:04 AM

This is exactly the idea: 1. Encode de booking received by Odoo inside the solution to replace the book or the sheet of paper used in restaurant 2. Open this booking feature through the odoo API to receive bookings from table booking platforms 3. Allow a booking request from the website (waiting for approval from admin)

E-Thos, Bernard Wilmus
on 1/6/16, 3:34 AM

This has to be further investigated. The main point of my statements is that Odoo is first a generic business software and not a vertical business solution, and many issues can be more or less easily solved using existing Odoo features with a different point of view. The main advantage of such an approach is the higher flexibility of a solution found this way in contrary to a vertical solution particularly designed to specific feature requests.

Ermin Trevisan
on 1/6/16, 9:50 AM

Ermin Trevisan

--Ermin Trevisan--
| 6 3 7
Walchwil, Switzerland
--Ermin Trevisan--

Ermin Trevisan
On 1/4/16, 10:06 AM

Menus: This is possible using for example the following community module: https://www.odoo.com/apps/modules/8.0/tg_pos_packs/

It must be forward ported to 9.0.

Doneness and meal options: use product variants in combination with the product packs module

Services: Usually a table order with different courses is self explanatory. In addition it is possible to make notes on the table order. But it is also possible to develop a small POS module allowing to manage course sequences.

Actually we are looking for pilot customers in order to customize a corresponding solution for restaurants. If you are interested in joining efforts, let me know.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 1/4/16, 5:07 AM
Seen: 797 times
Last updated: 1/7/16, 12:46 AM