This question has been flagged
5 Replies

I know that programmers, and companies, need to make money. Unfortunately, I never drank the Cloud Kool-Aid.I would like to start with a self-hosted open source ERP, and add-on and modify it as needed. However, from reading between the lines, I'm getting the impression that the open source version of Odoo may in some way be (unofficially or otherwise) crippled, either with features (Well, that's obvious with plugins and updates), or with bugs that are only fixed for paying customers. I would prefer to support honest-to-goodness open source software, like Apache, Wordpress, and Linux, but I may be able to settle for Odoo's style, depending on how crippled it is.

Is anyone self-hosting the open source version? Any experience or advice? Has it been stable? Are updates tolerable? Are there plugins that make it more bearable?

Thanks!

Discard

I would like to thank you for the prompt answer. In the interest of avoiding a disagreement on Open Source philosophy, I would like to re-word my question: Is self-hosting the unpaid Odoo a viable option?

I do self-host my odoo on a cloud server :-)

Best Answer

I've been working on deploying Odoo for a small manufacturing company.  For many reasons we run Odoo locally on our own servers. Getting our deployment up and running has been challenging. 

The software in and of its self is robust and stable, however, to really dial in and configure to your local needs, you will need to be comfortable creating and editing both python and xml files. 

For example, when you are running a local instance, it will kindly alert all users that "Your Odoo is not supported" at the top of the web page.  It is an important reminder, however, if your job is supporting that local install of Odoo, you will want to turn it off.  To do so requires downloading a module and installing it. (see http://superuser.com/questions/808850/how-to-remove-your-odoo-is-not-supported-upgrade-now-or-register-your-contract for more details.)

Without a doubt I'm sure an easier way to accomplish this could of been built in, however, if you don't posses the skill to accomplish this moderate task, perhaps your data would be safer with the SaaS. 

I've found that Odoo is kind of like a car.  Well built and more than capable, it requires some training and experience to really get the most out of it.  You can get hands dirty and change your own oil, or you may find it easier to take it to the shop. 

I did review the trial of the SaaS to see if it was in some-ways more functional.  In particular, I was looking for a functional configuration of the payroll system for the US.  As is, both the SaaS and the local deployment to not really have a fully functional payroll system if your business is located in the US.  You will need to understand the development side of Odoo to modify it store the additional data needed (deductions, tax tables, emergancy contact info to name a few) and build the additional interface structure.  So far we've found it more cost effective use a payroll service to make sure our taxes are right. There was no hidden solution that I could find in the SaaS and I suspect real benefit of the SaaS is the access to trained people to help you over these types of hurdles. 

A major thing to be aware of is when it comes to major version changes.  If your running your deployment locally, you are on your own.  If you are using the SaaS, they will help you migrate your data between major versions.  However, I think that you really understand how to configure and use Odoo, this should not be that big of a challenge.  (see https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/upgrade-to-openerp-odoo-8-52844 for more details.)

Best of luck in your deployment and let us know how it goes. Remember you can install the Demo DB to examine a functional euro-centric deployment. 

P.S.  You should probably read this.  https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/howtos/backend.html

Discard

FYI, I did come across a few useful feature that was depreciated or left out. There used to be a stand alone GTK client if you didn't want to use a web browser. It also looks like there was a much better module management system in version 6. https://doc.odoo.com/6.1/book/1/1_2_Guided_Tour/1_2_Guided_Tour_install_functionality/#the-configuration-reconfigure-wizard Not sure why these things were depreciated, however, I don't really feel this cripples the program. One other thing that I just thought of is have you looked at Tryton? http://www.tryton.org/ It is a fork of the original TinyERP software that become OpenERP and then Odoo. http://www.tryton.org/

Best Answer

There is no such thing as "the open source version versus the paid version". There is only one version of Odoo (apart from numbered versions like v7, v8, v9, etc...).

The version on Odoo's Cloud is the same as the one you would download (except that you get access to new features faster on the cloud through intermediate builds but it ends up being merged in downloadable LTSes anyway).

All branches are available on github. Hopefully, that is honest-to-goodness enough.

Discard
Best Answer

Robert,

Odoo is an open source program and you never pay for it. The opensource version is not crippled. You have full access to the latest versions of the modules through odoo.com, github and other code repositories. 

The service offered on odoo.com is for hosting the software and for support in maintaining/configuring your addons. For a beginner, the biggest thing you are going to run into is, once you have a certain number of users (5 I believe), you can no longer use the auto installer odoo provides for setting up addons. That said, if your going to be maintaining an odoo installation you will need to learn the ins and outs of installing using the addon folder anyway, so this is no great loss. 

As far as it being viable, It is fairly simple to install and run the program on a local server. I suspect most people do. I am using it for one of my customer's CRMs and it is about to take over their ERP side as well. I am running on a virtual windows server locally and have access to local clients, as well as clients on the web through a nat port. Everything runs very smoothly. 

Discard