Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Is PosBox an OpenERP server?

Newton Kitonga
on 5/8/14, 6:38 AM 3,320 views

Hi Guys,

I was trying out the PosBox image on a Raspberry Pi, but it seems that the PosBox is not an OpenERP server with the POS module installed.

I come from Kenya and the challenge here is that not many retailers have computers or even proper access to Internet. So the PosBox is appealing because, one can build a mini computer, install OpenERP server with the POS module, connect the PosBox to the local network and let the retailers run the POS run on their local network without Internet access.

Is this possible with the PosBox image by default or I have to install OpenERP 8 POS on the PosBox separately, run the PosBox server, then run the separate OpenERP POS to serve on the local network.

Any help or insights on how to execute this would be highly appreciated.

Miku Laitinen
On 5/8/14, 1:53 PM

I tried to download the PosBox image to see what's inside but the download was extremely slow so I cancelled it. Anyhow, one of the prerequisites of the PosBox setup is "A running SaaS or V8.0 OpenERP Instance with the Point of Sale Installed". AFAIK there's nothing that prevents you from installing OpenERP on the Raspberry Pi. If you are going to sell multiple PosBoxes with OpenERP, you might want to create your own PosBox image with OpenERP installed.

Note that due to the low performance of Raspberry Pi, OpenERP will probably be quite sluggish. You can have a PosBoxless setup by using a cheap laptop (don't really know about their availability in Kenya) instead of RasPi.

Joe Goldenwell
On 3/13/15, 11:48 AM

The POSBox acts just as a controller for the printer, scanner and cash register from what I can see after setting up mine.  All the work is done through the server and the tablet/terminal you use for the actual transaction processing.

There seems to be a lack of definitive information on the POSBox.  Even the installation manual is very vague in details.  :(

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 5/8/14, 6:38 AM
Seen: 3320 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM