Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Is Odoo a crappy product? [Closed]

By
Harmstra
on 7/10/14, 12:07 PM 1,126 views

The Question has been closed for reason: not a real question

by
Ray Carnes
on 07/10/2014 13:35:54

Ok, a bit exaggerating title perhaps, just to draw your attention ;)

I asked our development team to investigate if Odoo would be suitable for us, to build our customer platform upon. My idea was to use Odoo to store our products, customers, create invoices, etc.  by means of  the API.

They investigated the Odoo project on github and the Odoo site for a few days, and concluded that the code base of Odoo is crappy code.  They advise against it, because the don't want to build our platform on quicksand they say. I cannot go into details any further, because I'm no a developer myself.

I'd like to know if my team could be right, or are the completely wrong? Please don't ask for specific things, I'd like to have your opinion the global Odoo project.

Closing this. It violates the Guidelines, please read them. This is a Q&A site - your need is better served by the Google+ Communities. Specific violation "there is no actual problem to be solved: “I’m curious if other people feel like I do.”"

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 7/10/14, 1:35 PM

You may also consider contacting Odoo and asking for Customer References. There are many, and are many partners who depend on the product for their livelihood.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 7/10/14, 1:37 PM
Ben Olsen
On 7/10/14, 1:42 PM

A question that subjective will never have a definite answer. Also, your team cannot possibly be completely right or completely wrong, because there are positives and negatives to every software package, including Odoo.

I've been doing system engineering/development, meaning projects similar to Odoo, for about 10 years now, and here's my opinion. Customizing Odoo isn't building a platform on quicksand, in fact Odoo is easily the most flexible system I've ever seen in my life. But like in all things, great flexibility comes with great complexity. So if you want to customize Odoo for your needs, expect to invest a lot of learning time. If you don't intend to customize Odoo, meaning you can use the existing functions out of the box, it hardly matters if the codebase is messy or not. 

One thing that surprised me is that, even though Odoo is built on Python, you hardly write any Python code when customizing. The whole platform is configured and run from XML files, so your developers would be spending the bulk of their time figuring out the correct XML syntax for everything you need, and only writing small Python snippets for extra functionality here and there.

The biggest hardship when customizing Odoo, aside from the obvious complexity, is the staggering lack of documentation. The community here is fairly helpful, and you can find forum posts or some answers on sites like Stack Overflow, but I've found I've spent most of my time just trying to find the correct syntax for what I'm doing. I know it's *possible*, but finding any concrete examples of what I want to do always takes twice as long as it should.

Anyway, there's some opinion for you. I like Odoo so far, but it's a MASSIVE system with many moving parts. It can undoubtedly be customized to do anything you want it to do, but your developers will initially have to spend a long time with those customizations.

charles
On 7/10/14, 12:20 PM

I have like same question also I wanna know if you creater an invoce and generate it in to a PDF and i dont wanna have the titel Invoce but Toutifrouiiti Inoice or even Interco Invoice for examble if it possible to change that. 

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/10/14, 12:07 PM
Seen: 1126 times
Last updated: 2/20/16, 1:56 PM