This question has been flagged
4 Replies

Or is this acceptable and more importantly stable? Is it better on Linux even if it will be used by all windows clients?

I would like to use this server on the manufacturing side to manage multiple movements of raw products and finished goods through work orders/production orders. We are the labeling manufactures for a larger company that handles all sales, but we do ship direct from the plant so I will also need to manage stock and track products. I have set up most of this on a test server which is running on windows XP and accessing the server from Chrome browser(Version 26.0.1410.64 m) on a Windows 7 client. Things run well with minor glitches and errors here and there--mostly python related errors (ie. missing function calls and missing files). I would like to know if this is stable enough on windows to use as a final production server.

Discard
Best Answer

Because the OpenERP 7 client is browser based, the user client should not be an issue. So Windows, Mac, Linux etc should all be viable as the client machine.

I would suggest that Linux would be the preferred Server platform. There are some features that may not be available on a Windows platform. eg the Document Management System (document module) says that .pptx and .docx files are not able to be indexed on Windows platform.

If the 'non-Windows' features are not an issue and you are more comfortable with the Windows platform then that could be the best choice for you and your organisation.

Discard

As an aside to that answer, I do highly recommend deploying to a Linux server platform. If you do not have the knowledge/skills to do that, I do recommend that you do develop them. If your organisation is a pure Windows shop, then you are probably stuck with that :( .. .. unless you can slyly sneak that in ;)

Best Answer

Yes, it is a bad idea. I personally recommend using it on Linux.

Most of the community and developers running OpenERP on Linux servers, it is developed and tested first on Linux. This is same with nearly all of the community modules.

Windows is supported but you may encounter problems, it will work much better on Linux. Lately it is quiet easy to install a Linux distro.

Discard
Best Answer

I'd say opt for the operating system you are most comfortable with. It is quite possible that OpenERP works better on Linux (I don't use Windows personally so I can't say), but if you are more experienced on Windows you will probably be better at solving whatever problems you encounter on that platform.

There is so much unsubstantiated information floating around on the Internet. The only thing that really should matter to you is: does this work well enough for me? If it does, good! If it doesn't, what is the cost going to be (in time, money, etc) of learning Linux well enough to support OpenERP on that platform.

Of course, it seems that the majority of OpenERP users are also Linux users (though I could be wrong), which means that you may be able to get more help if you are on a Linux platform (at least as long as your problems are OS related).

Discard
Author

Well the plus side is I speak all three major operating systems (mac, linux, windows) so that isn't a huge concern though I am not a programmer or a IT pro by any means. We are a small company so I am setting this up on my own; debugging and what not. The learning curve is quite steep though I have a few tricks up my sleeve being a hobbyist "coder" and using linux for about 3.5 years now. Being that this is a 'lone' operation I didn't want to invest too much time in a server on a OS that isn't well supported.

Author

For perspective on my situation, I currently use myriad spreadsheets, various word docs, and several 3- ring binder journals for recording manufacturing operations. As you might imagine, it is extremely cumbersome, very manual, and error-prone considering the recordings of unique ids and numbers for raw products, finished batches, and final products in multiple files. This is an attempt at updating an ancient workflow created, no lie, at the turn of the industrial age. I am trying to bring things up to speed here. OpenERP seems the way to go considering is modularity and cost effectiveness

Best Answer

Hello !
As per my 6-7 years of OpenERP experience, I would prefer to work on Linux always.
Error tracking is very bad and sometimes not possible on windows.
I afraid of windows :) haha
But Linux provides fast error tracking so if in case if you stuck with any error then easy to solve.
Even downloading from Launchpad and using OpenERP is the best way to work with OpenERP.

Thanks,
Acespritech Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Mail: info@acespritech.com
Blog: acespritechblog.wordpress.com

Discard