Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Invoice balance vs. overpayment

By
Karl Branyik
on 7/24/13, 4:27 PM 1,463 views

Hello,

maybe I am missing something, but why is Balance field on invoice (just after Total) not showing NEGATIVE numbers, when an invoice was overpaid? E.g. Given a Customer Invoice for 100 Eur, received bank statement for the Customer 200 Eur, reconciled, Balance on Invoice Lines page shows 0. On the Payment tab you can get the overpaid value (with reconciliation id) in the field "reconcile_partial_id". Would be useful to see this right on the Invoice Lines page of the invoice automatically.

Thanx a lot for a hint!!!

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 7/25/13, 2:57 AM

An overpayment ends up as an AR credit that can be applied to any other open Invoice, or used to pay a Credit/Refund Invoice for that Customer.

Either way It isn't related to the original Invoice, it is a credit on their ACCOUNT, not their INVOICE.

Thank you very much for the quick answer - just to repeat myself from yesterday - I agree (I assume that theoverpaid amount was written-off), but as far as this overpayment was reconciled with that particular invoice, I still think there could be a sign, that it was overpaid - what do you think?

enterpreneur, Karl Branyik
on 7/25/13, 3:08 AM

The payment was partially reconciled to close the invoice. This is no different than a customer paying $200 for two $100 invoices. Each will show the same partially reconciled payment information. Showing the 'overpaid value' in this case will NOT be accurate - and you have no way of telling the difference.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 7/25/13, 3:15 AM

This is just for the sake: information that can be put easily into the system, should be easily retrieved as well (overviews etc. e.g. for managers)

on 7/25/13, 3:17 AM

I understand. An invoice that was overpaid (and where the credit remains) and an invoice that was simply paid with an amount that was also used to pay another invoice (and where no credit remains) will be stored in exactly the same way. If you 'retrieve' this information for your managers it won't tell them the correct status of the account. They need to look at the AR balance to know.

on 7/25/13, 3:22 AM

Thank you very much!

on 7/25/13, 10:43 AM

I have a similar problem which is the opposite of what is being discussed here. When I create an invoice and register a part payment, I expect the balance column on the invoice the record the balance but it records 0. I have this working well on another database I created but I don't know how it worked. Could anyone help please.

Henry Padi Nyaunu
on 10/23/13, 3:03 PM

Compare each database to see what is different. Journal, account types, accounts, partner settings.

on 10/27/13, 2:55 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/24/13, 4:27 PM
Seen: 1463 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM