Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Installation from source code is not suitable for deployment ?

By
Duan Fang
on 5/31/16, 12:36 AM 310 views

Hi all, 

i like Installation from source, because it is easier to customize

but it's said that installation from source code is not suitable for deployment ?  why ?

Thanks !

Why wouldn't it be suitable for deployment? I bet 90%+ of all installations are done from the source code (from github.com/odoo/odoo). I have plenty of Odoo environments running like this.

Yenthe
on 5/31/16, 5:01 AM

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 5/31/16, 3:11 PM

I agree with Yenthe.  Also, Odoo does not state this.  In fact, they state the opposite.  This is what Odoo writes about installing from source:

Harder to get started than Packaged installers, provides even greater flexibility: packaged installers don't generally allow multiple running Odoo versions on the same system, and don't provide easy source access to Odoo itself.

Good for developing modules, can be used as base for production deployment.

The source code can be obtained by downloading a tarball or using git. Using git is strongly advised, as it makes it easier to update, switch between multiple versions (including the current development version) or contribute.

Refer to the documentation at https://www.odoo.com/documentation/9.0/setup/install.html

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/31/16, 12:36 AM
Seen: 310 times
Last updated: 5/31/16, 3:11 PM