Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

installation from nightly builts or using bzar - what is better?

on 5/14/14, 11:02 PM 599 views

I'd like to understand the differences (for a user) between installing OpenERP

• a) with apt-get from the officlially nightly builds (http://nightly.openerp.com/)   vs
  • b) installation with bzr from the official sources    vs
  • c) installation bith bzr from the alternative community sources   bzr branch lp:ocb-server/7.0 ocb-server

Hopefully pros and cons for either method can be gathered here for anybody to find in case of having to make this decision

| 6 7 8

On 5/24/14, 9:39 PM

here is what I found out elsewhere. I put it as an answer here but I guess there still might be more opinions on this issue around.

The main difference is how your OpenERP installation is being updated. If you use nightly builds and apt-get install (or any other package management system from any other then deb/ubuntu linux) your installation will be updated with every update of your operating system (which you do on a regular basis). There are scenarios you might not want that to be happening. For example you have made changes to the code installed on your system ... an update via package managment will overwrite those and what you have changed will be lost. I think that is one of the reason many people suggest to wirte a new Module for adding a buttopn or field to any form (which you can do with writing a Module though the interface in the 'developer mode').

Installing OpenERP/Odoo using version controll system like bzr/launchpad or now github results into a different way about updates. The Version control system will determine which code is newer and decide based on that whether to update is or not.

Let's say you have added a field 'shoesize' in the personal information of employees using the interface. That is a change in the local code of your installation (and newer then the original code). Now if you update your installtion with github it will detect that the local code for your 'shoesize' button is newer then the one coming from the sources and leave that as it is. All other updates (buf fixes for example) will be processed.

I am not real expert and this is what I understand so far. Would be great to get comments if there is anything wron with this from people who might know it better.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 5/14/14, 11:02 PM
Seen: 599 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM