This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

Like to check on Openerp 7 messaging. I have 5 employees in my company, each with our own email addresses. e.g.

john@mycompany.com jane@mycompany.com susan@mycompany.com ali@mycompany.com janice@mycompany.com

Does messaging encourage all of them to use when they login into openerp and not relying on thunderbird anymore? If yes, how can you escalate certain emails as potential sales lead, etc?

Or messaging is more suitable for emails like sales@mycompany.com which will create a new sales lead?

But what if John login into the system, what will be the messaging like? Tied to sales@mycompany.com or his personal email john@mycompany.com?

Any help? Thanks.

Discard
Best Answer

In my opinion, the current OpenERP messaging system is not yet featured enough to replace a traditional mail client. Even if we think this will be the case in future versions of OpenERP.

But the current messaging system is fully integrated with your incoming and outgoing email. So, you can easily use both as they are synchronized. I usually use OpenERP for internal communication (between employees, tracking changes on tasks), for external communications around leads/opportunities and issues (support services). But I still use a direct email address for all others incming emails (like the address on my business card).

Discard

Why is the messaging in 7 advocated then as a mail replacement? Why does it go into a stable release if not fully featured? In getting clients on it as is (half baked), the platform looses reputation because functionality in a stable release is advocated to perform something but doesn't deliver.

Author Best Answer

Thanks Fabien. Just to clarify a bit further, to ensure I am on the right track with your explanation.

External Communication

e.g.

sales@mycompany.com -> action -> crm.lead

recruitment@mycompant.com -> action -> hr (jobs related)

Direct Email Address

e.g.

john@mycompany.com - basically John will still use his email in Thunderbird. But he can install the openerp plugin. For certain emails, he can push into OpenERP. I assume that way as I have seen a video doing that.

Internal Communication

This is the tricky part. I assume you mean OpenERP user accounts right and not creating another set of email addresses to do this?

so basically, i have 2 user accounts in openerp

john

mary

they will communicate directly, response to quotations, add to inbox, etc.

Is this what you meant?

Hope you can share some thoughts to get my understanding correct.

Thank you.

Discard