This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I need to develop a mobile client of an OpenERP module (It is a new module in OpenERP). The mobile client will be a basic forms based smartphone application with a capability to attach images in the smartphone and send to OpenERP module.If there is no cellular coverage it will be able to work in an offline mode and sync later.

I have 2 questions. 1. In which Langauge should this smartphone application be made (Javascript, HTML5, Python ..?) 2. Can someone pls suggest a cross application tool that we can use so that we develop the smartphone client once and deploy on multiple targets (IOS, Android and Windows based platforms.) ? Has anyone heard about Phonegap ??

Discard
Best Answer

For multi-platform apps you could go with either PhoneGap or Xamarin. With Phonegap, you will be working with Javascript, HTML and CSS to construct the UI of your mobile app, whereas with Xamarin (previously known as MonoTouch) you'll be working with C#.

Xamarin I have not used, but my experience with Phonegap for Android was not that good. The UI components were not as responsive as the components in native Android apps. Everything worked, but there was still this slight lag that you definitely noticed when e.g. clicking buttons, selecting items from dropdowns and so on. It was fine for testing and demoing, but I would not have distributed any Phonegap-based apps to actual end users.

This was a bit less than a year ago, though, and Phonegap has had many updates since then, so the situation may have improved. I have to say that using the Phonegap API to control the camera etc. and being able to sketch the UI with HTML and CSS was great already then.

Another thing to consider is that do you need the app to look and feel the same way as a native app would? If you do, making PhoneGap (and I expect Xamarin too) mimic the native UI will take a lot of work.

From OpenERP's point of view it makes little difference what language/platform you pick, it mostly boils down to what languages you're already familiar with and to what targets you end up needing to deploy on.

If you're not completely sure about the need for a multi-platform app, you could get started with Android first and do a proof-of-concept type of app with it. It's quite easy to get started with it, and there are tons of Java/Android tutorials available.

Discard
Author

To answer your question. The UI should not resemble the native app UI. If from OpenERP perspective it make little difference what platform is used, how do we connect and handoff data to OpenERP from mobile client. Also is separate programming required for offline mode if wireless signal is not available ?? I mean do I have to maintain 2 OpenERP application modules one for Desktop and another one for mobile ? thx

Best Answer

Hi ,

I have been exploring openERP mobile app development platform as well, this is what i think about developing for openERP mobile client , we should keep to the existing web client and develop a mobile client so that we do not have to keep so many module for it .

for mobile client , i am exploring Appcelerator , intel XDK , and cordova / Codiqa to build the mockup and in order for us to design and code an online /offline model of mobile client for openERP ,

we must then posses these knowledge

1. openerp XMLRPC /JSONRPC call of the framework
  2. mobile development language , such as javascript - you can use the mimic-xmlrpc library , there is jquery xml-rpc lib as well. and java has the native xmlrpc library so you were to avoid the java with the tradeoff of some preformance , javascript library is some good option
  3. knowledge of mobile database , such as choice of using browser storage or using sqlite ...
  4. last but not least is the knowledge of how to get a good performance if your server db is large , especially when you 100,000 of products and 10000 clients ... etc ...

cheers and happy exploring !

Discard
Author

Hi , I had a few questions on your response to further understanding. can we communicate offline ? pls send me your email id .. thanks

Are there any tutorials teaching as to how we can use Odoo's XML-RPC and what we get as a reply and how to parse the same?