Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Importing thousands of data??

By
Alcaline
on 9/18/14, 2:03 AM 2,556 views

Importing Data in  Journal Items menu:

Got a problem in importing thousands of data in openerp version 7, Do you have any idea how to import faster?

probably you have to pay someone for writing you a script, but there's a possibility to import using a python script. I've seen it here once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWFZWw3uY4k it's really slow with the GUI, if you once have a script you can always reproduce. Good luck Alcaline!

Malte Helmhold
on 9/18/14, 3:02 AM

Bole

--Bole--
| 5 4 6
Zagreb | Karlovac, Croatia
--Bole--

there is only 10 kind of people the ones that understand binary ... and others

Bole
On 9/18/14, 3:07 AM

Well ... importing via web interface / csv import is realy slow , specially when dealing with thousands of records.
For example import of 50000 products may last as long as 5-7 hours (tested myself)...

The main reason for that slow behaivour is because odoo check and werify every single line and record one by one before doing actual import. Benefit of using it it you can be apsolutley sure that all imported data is consistent and correct. Another great benefit of importing data via web interface is using external ids, wich can later be used for updating or modifying imported data. Also via web interface you are able to import data in more than one model in a single row of csv data. Also while importing wia web inteface you cak use external ids as foreign key data ( many2one, x2many fields..)

The othey way of importing is via sql insert , but it is not recomended to use it if you are not realy sure what are you doing.
Importing via sql is much faster ( up to 10 times , even more... for example, same 50k products was imported via sql in less than half hour). The one and only benefit of using sql import is speed. Here is an example of how to do it faster...

It is up to you to choose the way you want to import your data.

Hope this helps

Bole, I've already saw that link a while ago and decided to use that but you stated that it is not recommended i will not going to use that other way I must use the very slow way because i think this is the right way to do. I should have more patience in doing in it. thanks bole.:)

Alcaline
on 9/18/14, 4:14 AM

Right or not.. it has more benefit than sql way... it is in fact much slower, but, you don't do it wery often.. so once you prepare the data, and test it, the time it takes to do the import is not so relevant... I still prefer csv import, mainly because of capability to mass modify imported data ( mainly product related) ... one more hint.. if you realy have to import large number of rows... try to split it in couple of smaller files, or better yet... add import_partial = /some/file to your server config file... helps a lot and saves time...

Bole
on 9/18/14, 5:58 AM

Ivan

--Ivan--
| 5 3 6
Jakarta, Indonesia
--Ivan--
Ivan
On 9/18/14, 2:47 AM

Maybe you can help the other by stating what model you are trying to import.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/18/14, 2:03 AM
Seen: 2556 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM