Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

If I were to learn one reporting method for Odoo which one should it be?

By
Yakito
on 1/26/15, 8:35 PM 814 views

Hi, 

I am stuck with some errors with my webkit reports, and that together with the fact that I keep reading that webkit reports are not very flexible and that I see the word depreceated next to them on Odoo V8 is making me wonder if it should be better to start learing a new reporting method.

I need my reports to be syper flexible but at the same time complex. I don't mind coding them, in fact I prefer to be able to code them than to use OpenOffice or something like that.

What would you advice? I am totally lost.

Thanks

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 1/26/15, 10:42 PM

The offical reporting engine for Odoo is QWeb which was developed by Odoo's CTO Antony Lesuisse.

Odoo will be expanding this engine into more and more of it's infrustructure including possibly making it the engine for it's Mass Email system in the future.  QWeb comes in two forms the System Module and a Javascript version.

Documentation can be found in Odoo's online documentation and QWeb reports webpage.  Also a video from Simon Lejeune at OpenDays 2014 is available along with the presentation slides.

Thanks! so in terms of flexibility and power today I should go with QWeb or it is not still at the level of webkit for example?

Yakito
on 1/26/15, 10:55 PM

I can't comment on the fact that is is the most powerful, however I do know that Odoo will support it in all future versions and they require it's use in some parts of the ecosystem. For these reasons I would recommend that it be your future reporting engine. Webkit is now only supported by the OCA.

Stephen Mack
on 1/26/15, 10:57 PM

Thanks a lot Stephen

Yakito
on 1/26/15, 11:26 PM

Ivan

--Ivan--
| 5 3 6
Jakarta, Indonesia
--Ivan--
Ivan
On 1/26/15, 11:19 PM

@Yakito in my experience you cannot have a one-size-fits all tools for reporting.  There are two types of reporting needs, AFAIK. One is what I would call forms.  This is where you prints one record at a time, e.g. invoice, quotation, etc.  The other is what I would call analytical reports.

For forms I would advise that you use what Odoo is currently supporting.  As @Stephen has pointed out for v8 it is QWeb.  In v6 - v7 I opt to use webkit, mostly because there was a rumour that OpenERP is going to use webkit starting from v7.

In generating analytical reports, though the Dashboard had provided a great functionality, sometimes the ORM will became a bottleneck if you are processing a lot of data.  This is evident if you use the stock Legal Accounting Reports with a lot of data.  You need a specialized reporting engine that churns out report using a specified SQL.  Most of open source reporting engine out there are Java-based (JasperServer, Pentaho, SpangoBI, BIRT, etc.).  I belive you'll still need to have this kind of reporting engine, be it integrated fully or by way of RPC.  JasperServer [1] [2] and Pethano had their integration modules in OpenERP for you to try.

Thanks a lot, very informative. I will definitely add the Pentaho integration to my to-do list. Currently I struggling to get my webkit reports to work, but knowing where should I focus in the future is important to me. Thanks again.

Yakito
on 1/26/15, 11:26 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 1/26/15, 8:35 PM
Seen: 814 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM