Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Howto switch off Karma and use ordinary user privileges?

By
Ermin Trevisan
on 10/23/14, 10:47 AM 877 views

For regular companies wanting to establish forums for their community, Karma is completely intransparent and useless. The forum user does not understand it and will be discouraged to use such a forum. On the other hand, the company has no possibility to moderate the forum in a reasonable way, because not even the system administrator has enough privileges to take care of the forum because of lack of karma. In the worst case, it could be possible that a company community user has more karma than any company responsible and could even delete all forum posts without anybody to prevent it.

Is it possible to establish forum users with explicit user privileges, such as regular user, moderator, forum admin? Or at least to set default karma values for certain users?

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 10/23/14, 3:40 PM

Hi Ermin,

I understand what you are asking.  Let me give you a few insights that may help you.

1. This is version 1.0 of odoo's homegrown forum software.  So it currently runs as they envision their community to run - Self Moderated and community driven.
  2. The current software allows you to set the Karma levels for your own forum and make features like delete a thread unattainable by regular users by say making it karma 5,000. (Messages -> Forum -> [forum name] -> Karma Requirements)
  3. You can manually give your emplolyees a high karma level such as starting them at 5,000 points so that they can do everything. (Settings -> Users -> [user name] -> Preferences)
  4. By reading the github development posts, odoo is looking to enhance the forum software for version 9.0 so maybe you might want to get involved on github to help guide the development to more of your liking.

Click on the images to see them full size.  Also feel free to play around with this feature using odoo's runbot.odoo.com test build servers (User:admin, Password:admin).  You can create test users and set the karma as you wish.  These servers get discarded and rebuilt regurarly.

Anyway, just some observations.  Hope they are helpful.

Thanks for your answer. @1: I respect that, but this is not feasible for communities of small and midsized businesses. @2: This only makes sense, when you can set default karma levels for responsible employees. @3: Together with 2. this offers a solution, however, I could not see a corresponding feature in the backoffice, do I have to set the karma level directly in the database? @4: Good hint :-)

Ermin Trevisan
on 10/24/14, 2:57 AM

I updated my answer.

Stephen Mack
on 10/24/14, 12:30 PM

Think I need to take some reading lessons! Thanks!

Ermin Trevisan
on 10/24/14, 12:49 PM

Well the user karma option is only there when you install the form application.

Stephen Mack
on 10/24/14, 12:55 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/23/14, 10:47 AM
Seen: 877 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM