This question has been flagged
3 Replies

I have seen in v8 quants has been introduced. I have following scenario

1. Purchase of 10 Product A > receive shipment of 10 > system shows quant of 10 to stock.

2. sell of 2 product A > full picking delivered > system shows a quant with 2 quantity and to customer location & my stock quant reduced to 2 now it is 8.

• what is the concept behind the quant?

• Is there any document regarding quant ? 

Discard
Best Answer

Quant indicates a specific stock quantity of the same product that entered your warehouse at a specific moment in time in one specific operation; in a single lot (batch) if lot tracking is enabled.

Let's give an example. You purchased 10 pieces a week ago, you received 6 pieces yesterday and today the remaining 4 pieces arrive. In this case, two quants will be created: 1 with 6 pieces, another one with 4 pieces. Should the batch with 4 pieces be linked to individual Lot (serial) numbers, the result will be 4 separate quants.

The Quants table stores the current state of stock (per location). It is updated each time a stock move is set to done and has 3 main impacts:

A quant optimizes the computation (e.g. quantity available), because a quant only contains information about the current stock (not the past or the future). The volume is smaller and doesn’t grow in time;

A quant will be used in FIFO, LIFO and FEFO costing, as we need to match the incoming and outgoing moves for a correct stock valuation;

A quant can also be used for upstream/downstream traceability and lot management; a quant contains the information about lots. Quant history displays a list of stock moves indicating the current stock level.

In case a quant has been reserved, you can see the related stock move in the Reserved for Move field. Quants can be split in order to reserve only the quantities needed.

Discard
Author

Thank you Baiju KS, I have read the same answer by Els Van Vossel (evv) https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/whats-the-difference-between-quants-lots-and-products-55243#answer_55244

@ Baiju KS: can you use Quants to assign partial quantities of one product to be owned by one of your customers?
Example: You have a customer A that produces the same product several time in small quantities. They want to make sure components for this are available on short notice, so they ask us to keeo a certain amount of Stock of these components for them. The cutomer pays for the purchase of these components, so they are actually owned by him.
Now, these comoponents are also used by other customers, so I need to track how many units of this component are owned by the customer A.

Once you check "Manage Owner on Stock" in >Settings >Warehouse a field Owner appears in the Quant. Until now I couldn't figure out how you can acuatlly use this field. There is no EDIT button in a quant, so I guess some additional setuo is required to use that. Can you explaing such a usecase? Could be it involves using "Serial Numbers" (that appear after you check >Settings >Warehouse >Track Lots or Serial Number, but I couldn't figure out yet how to practically use that