This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hello,

I am writing my Bachelor-Thesis about the usability of open source ERP systems. After comparison of some alternatives I came to the conclusion that OpenERP is the most featured system available. Now I want to show the usefulness of this system for manufacturing business. Therefore I tried to use the "Work Orders Planning" tool in the manufacturing module to plan some work orders.

I installed v7 including the demo database and created a manufacturing order for 100 pieces of product "HDD SH-2" which uses BOM "HDD 500GB" connected with routing "Assembly Line 1". Right after I created one more manufacturing order for 50 pieces of the same product. Now there should be 150 work center operations called "manual assembly" which should take place at the "assembly workshop" work center.

But the "Work Orders Planning" tool in the manufacturing module shows the first 100 work center operations and the 50 operations in parallel?!?! Is it possible to tell the module that it is not possible to schedule more than one work center operation at a time? I set already the "Capacity per Cycle" of the "assembly workshop" to 1.0, but without success...

Perhaps I understood the module purpose incorrectly? I hope someone is able to help me.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I just read this in the OpenERP forum:

Actually MRP does not take into account the capacity of a resource. It assumes the resource has unlimited capacity. You should check Frepple for that, since you need an APS to do that

Is this correct? The OpenERP MRP module does not take into account the capacity of the work centers and their working time?

I can hardly believe it... Still think I did some wrong configuration...

Discard

Please do share the results afterwards.

Best Answer

MRP methodology does not take into account capacity in the planning activity. But you can combine MRP and the operations module to check when the work center is overloaded in order to adjust its workload

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hello again :-)

I just read this in the OpenERP forum: "Actually MRP does not take into account the capacity of a resource. It assumes the resource has unlimited capacity. You should check Frepple for that, since you need an APS to do that"

Is this correct? The OpenERP MRP module does not take into account the capacity of the work centers and their working time?

I can hardly believe it... Still think I did some wrong configuration...

Discard