This question has been flagged
3 Replies
  • Is there somewhere a description about how it works?
  • What are the procedures?
  • How to find your way through?

Additional points added later:

• I want to thank you al for your answers.
  • Francesco Apruzzese modified my question by adding bazaar to the question. That is ok for me, thank you for this.
  • The pitfall is the answers loose focus on organisational aspects and get more focus on technicallities (nothing wrong with that.) I explain hereby some more about my first focus.

My first focus was on launchpad.

• How it works in terms of technicallities is answered, thank you Francesco Apruzzese.
  • What are the procedures? This is done and made by the people, the individuals and there management. What to do with posts, are there rules in terms of time to wait for responses, is there some kind of escalation procedures. Prioritizing, etc.
  • How to find your way through? It is so big and complicated, I think there are depandancies and relations I don't see. I do not see the big picture.
  • How can I find out a problem that I have is a reported bug?
Discard
Best Answer

Launchpad is based on a VCS (Version Control System) called bazaar. If you want know how it works, this is not the right location.This is the launchpad official help and this is a manual about bazaar.

Discard
Best Answer

to get openerp via bazaar do the following on a fresh install, assuming a user named openerp owns the files on your server:

sudo apt-get install bzr
sudo su - openerp
cd /opt/openerp
bzr branch lp:openobject-server/7.0 server
bzr branch lp:openobject-addons/7.0 addons
bzr branch lp:openerp-web/7.0 web

then when you want to get the latest version, you would pull the updates.

cd /opt/openerp/server
sudo bzr pull
cd ../addons
sudo bzr pull
cd ../web
sudo bzr pull

Then you would have to stop the server, update all the modules for your database using the -u command, press Ctrl+C, then start your server again. This is a redundant operation, but necessary if you are using a script to run openERP

Discard

Never and never and never and never install OpenERP as root user!!! Never use sudo to install openERP!!!

First, the script doesn't suggest you install as the root user, that is the purpose of changing to the openerp user. Second, This is the way it is presented in a couple of installation guides, if you have a better method, why don't you share it instead of just criticizing.

I criticize when something is wrong for the system security. This is a simple installation system to use openerp without use root user: http://wiki.openerp-italia.org/doku.php/area_tecnica/installazione/v7.0_ubuntu_12.04/openerp

your example says to do the same thing. Installiamo il pacchetto bzr:

openerp@ubuntu:~$sudo apt-get install bzr

poi scarichiamo i pacchetti:

openerp@ubuntu:~$mkdir lp openerp@ubuntu:~$cd lp openerp@ubuntu:~$bzr branch lp:openobject-server/7.0 openerp openerp@ubuntu:~$bzr branch lp:openerp-web/7.0 web openerp@ubuntu:~$bzr branch lp:openobject-addons/7.0 addons

It's not equal...you install openERP in /opt...we no!

First you said not to install as root user, which I was not. Then you linked to installation instructions that list exactly the same method to use bzr that I proposed in the first place. Now you are changing your problem to the installation directory? Why does that matter? /opt is an appropriate directory. /opt is not a security issue.

if you see ls -lah in your root directory you can see that: drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4,0K mar 14 17:52 opt! to use openERP in opt, you must abiity it to read file as root!

that is why i am installing it in a directory with the owner of the user openerp in /opt drwxr-xr-x 5 openerp openerp

I updated with bzr update [DIR], seems fine also. How to use this -u command to update the database?

The -u tag is used to update all the modules in a database so you don't have to individually update them in the openERP setting menu, the complete command is - <you installation directory>/openerp-server -d <database name> -u all --addons <your addons path>

-u tag can used with a list of modules to update only the modules indicates. For example "-u sale" updates only sale module or "-u sale,account,product" updates sale, account and product module

@Frencesco, patently: Thanks for your replies.

Best Answer

This document will help you, Using Bazaar with Launchpad

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/beta/en/tutorials/using_bazaar_with_launchpad.html

Discard