Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to use Barcode without EAN13?

By
Manumission
on 4/15/13, 1:56 PM 9,737 views

We want to print internal Product Barcodes because we do not need EAN Numbers for our Products. But it's not working when i put it into the Products "Internal Reference" Field. (example code: BX06WO01)

When i enter this number into the Product/"Internal Reference" Field and "Print Product Label" our Barcode Scanner can not read the printed code, generated from Open ERP.

Is it possible to export and scan a code like BX06WO01 or do we have to buy EAN13 Barcodes?

thanks. Michi

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 4/17/13, 12:26 AM

Do you mean you need this printed in a PDF?

You can add a line like:

<barCode code="code128" fontName="Times-Roman" fontSize="50" alignment="CENTER"> [[ o.name or '' ]] </barCode>

. . . in the RML of a Sales Order to print the SO number.

code is one of these:

[ I2of5 | Code128 | Standard93 | Extended93 | Standard39 | Extended39 | MSI | Codabar | Code11 | FIM | POSTNET | USPS_4State ]

Great tip Ray, but I have small question, is it possible to store barcodes with these incodings (e.g save the barcode '15649' instead of ean13 '5901234123457' in the product form view)? if yes, what should I do?

Smart Way LLC, Anas Taji
on 5/8/13, 11:10 PM

The EAN13 field has validation, so if you want to store something else you will need another field. If you add your own field (either via the UI or via a module) you can store a numeric value. The example I gave generates a barcode from a series of values like SO002. If you want more help, please ask a new question, rather than expand this one.,

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 5/9/13, 12:03 AM

Mohammad Alhashash

--Mohammad Alhashash--
| 5 5 8
Giza, Egypt
--Mohammad Alhashash--

Developer

Mohammad Alhashash
On 4/15/13, 3:43 PM

Any barcode other than EAN13 is not currently supported in the official OpenERP v7 Point Of Sale.

The keyboard listener collects 13 digits which is then validated as ean13 by the check digit.

To support other barcode types, you need to modify the barcode capturing methods in addons/point_of_sale/static/src/js/devices.js in the web module.

BTW, you do not need to "buy" EAN13 barcodes to use it. For internal uses, you can use any "Restricted distribution" prefix listed in the EAN13 Prefix List. Just do not use any prefix from (21, 22, 23, 041, 042); these are used by OpenERP POS as described in this answer. For example, you can use codes like 277XXXXXXXXXC where Xs are any digits and C is the calculated check digit.

thanks, this is helping.

Manumission
on 4/16/13, 12:31 PM

but the question was, how to print the code without EAN13 including a combination of digits and letters.

Manumission
on 4/16/13, 3:14 PM

Now i'm getting somewhere, can you possibly explain how to get my scanner or other devices to connect to proxy and proxy to connect to server. I now know i need a proxy to communicate, but where is it. How do i activate / install / configure it to work between client and server.

Fritz Schlechter
on 8/22/13, 11:45 PM
Manumission
On 4/16/13, 3:11 PM

I tested to scan our code with CODE 128 Instead of EAN13. Code 128 supports also letters and it works well with our hand scanner!

So, is there a way to tell open erp to print CODE 128 from product view, instead EAN13?

thanks

I thought you were asking about POS barcode support. You do not need any special support to fill a form using any barcode as the scanner just acts as a keyboard. In that sense, Windows Notepad support anybarcode in the world.

If you plan to use the POS, only EAN13 is supported.

Mohammad Alhashash
on 4/16/13, 5:02 PM

Acespritech

--Acespritech--
| 3 2 6
India
--Acespritech--

Having 8+ years of OpenERP Experience. We are Specialized in OpenERP/CRM Solutions, software development, Web development, E commerce solutions & other open source solutions.

Email : info@acespritech.com

Acespritech
On 4/17/13, 4:56 AM

There are some code in PY, Javascript in Point of Sale in device.js
We have created a web addon for this feature.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/15/13, 1:56 PM
Seen: 9737 times
Last updated: 8/20/15, 2:56 AM