Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to upgrade to V7 with OPW contract ?

Ahmet Altinisik
on 2/20/13, 7:26 PM 2,403 views

I have an active OPW contract. What should be my upgrade roadmap from 6.1 to 7.

Note that I have few custom field and custom views that I created from web interface and I have few community module (like aeroo, report to printer)

The migration is a two step process:

1. one or more test migrations
  2. the final migration

The first step is the longer one. The second step can take less than an hour to perform.

When you first upload your database, the migration platform will try to migrate it automatically.

If the database cannot be migrated automatically, the Migration team will fix the migration scripts. This step can take from a couple of hours to several days depending on the complexity of the problems.

If the automatic process succeeds, the Migration team will perform a series of functional tests on it. This testing step should normally take approximately less than 2 days.

Any issues found during this testing phase will be recorded in our bug tracking system and you will have the opportunity to follow it and discuss about it using the OpenERP portal. Issues will either be categorized as:

• migration issues
  • framework issues (server, addons, web client)

Once all migration issues have been fixed, you will be notified and you will have the opportunity to download the migrated database to test it yourself. This is also an important step because we only test the standard flows. If you follow specific flows, the Migration team cannot test them because they don't know the way you are using your database.

If you discover issues yourself, you can submit them to OpenERP and they will be handled as usual. They will be categorized accordingly and handled by the Maintenance team or the Migration team. Framework issues found during the testing phase by the Migration team will also be fixed as usual.

During this time, you still continue your usual work on the old version of OpenERP. You can also submit new databases as often as you want on the Migration platform. Be sure not to install, remove modules or, more generally, modify the database schema because it could lead to new issues not found during the testing phase.

Once you are satisfied with the result, you can plan the final migration. This time you stop working on your production database, create a backup and send it on the Migration platform (choose the "Migration for production" option) and it will be migrated right away without any testing phase. You will already know how much time it will take to migrate it. This information will be available on your status page (Processing time section) Most of the time, databases are migrated in less than an hour.

About your custom fields and views: you need to avoid modifying standard views (views defined in standard modules) because these views are overwritten after each update of the modules (-u all command line option or "apply scheduled upgrades" wizard).

A best practice is to create inherited views. A lot less problem will be raised if you do so.

About custom modules: at the end of the migration process, your custom modules will be in the 'to upgrade' status. If you have migrated them yourself or if you rely on the community, you just need to add them in your addons-path and update your modules using the "apply scheduled upgrades" wizard (or from the command line if you prefer)

You also have the choice of asking OpenERP to migrate your custom modules (for a price of course). In this case, we handle everything:

• we migrate them to be compatible with version 7
  • we send them to you for testing
  • we fix issues you'll have discovered
  • once these modules are validated by you, we migrate your database with them
  • you receive it with these modules already installed

Hope this will clarify you.

Thank you for detailed information

Altınkaya Elektronik Cihaz Kutuları imalat Ticaret ltd sti, Ahmet Altinisik
on 3/8/13, 10:25 AM

Ahmet Altinisik

--Ahmet Altinisik--
| 8 7 10
ANKARA, Turkey
--Ahmet Altinisik--

Ahmet Altinisik
On 3/7/13, 3:30 PM

I would like to write down my migration process from 6.1 to 7.0 with OPW contract step by step.

1. Thinking about migration : 19 JAN 2013
    checked if my community modules are V7 compatible. Since none of the three community modules ported yet to 7 sleep for a month.
  2. Installation of new version 19 Feb 2013
    Made installation of V7 on a ubuntu 12.04 machine. Wrote all the steps down.
  3. Install Community module Aeroo reports 21 Feb 2013
    Made installation of aeroo reports and wrote the steps down.
  4. Submitted 6.1 database to migration.openerp.com site. 3 Mar 2013
    got a reply from migration server.

Dear partner / customer,

Your database was successfully uploaded on our migration server.

The migration process is currently running: 1) we will apply our migration scripts, 2) your database will go through our testing phase.

The whole process may take between 4 and 6 weeks.

You can check the status of your migration request at http://migration.openerp.com/status/8cdf050419b24c2e9411df6d266e1a22.html

If you have any question, please contact us at migration@openerp.com.

Migration status page 1

Migration status page 2

Now waiting for the migration team's first response.

to be continued...

| 5 6 9
Lisse, Netherlands
End-User. Installed 6.1.1 on a DS412+, DS211+ and DS113J Synology NAS. Reference installation on Ubuntu 12.04/Samsung Notebook. 12-03-2013 In production for Suppliers and Customers, adresbook. 7 small companies. Testing accounting, document management, import and export. Too much showstoppers I haven't fixed at this moment. 06-05-2013 little progress. Migration to v7 impossible because of missing Dutch localisation modules. What I see working is nice, so further testing and asking. Start testing products and warehouse. Happy with this forum and the community.
On 2/23/13, 5:39 AM

I do not have hands on experience with this, but I have read a lot. So let us try and make a start for an answer.:

1. You can migrate your database from v6.1 tot v7 for all OpenERP SA supported modules via the OPW contract.
2. I assume all settings are in the database and converted with it. So I should expect they should work.
3. I assume this also includes views that you created from webinterface.
4. For cummunity and own modules it becomes more complicated, because the OPW is not sufficient. In the official documentation it is mentioned the migration for cummunity modules can be done for an additional fee.

Update 5-3-2013: Additions to 4 and a first roadmap.

In addition to 4. I assume further the community module you need must be available in v7. If not available it all fails.

For a rough schedule - roadmap - I should say:

1. Play around and test v7, become familiar with it
  2. Check if all the community modules you need are available in v7
  3. If so test them thoroughly
  4. If community modules you need are not available you could start working with the team to get them available in v7
  5. Get informed about cost of migrating for the community modules
  6. Do test migrations based on your OPW and find out about the results

It is interesting to know how contacts are migrated. This is because the set up of clients, suppliers, contacts, etc. differ a lot between the versions.

on 2/23/13, 5:42 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 2/20/13, 7:26 PM
Seen: 2403 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM