Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to Submit Custom App to Odoo for Inclusion in Odoo SaaS Apps

By
David Birchmier
on 1/4/15, 7:05 PM 2,393 views

We are developing an app that will integrate Odoo with Stripe. (Credit Card Payment Processor) 

We are running Odoo v8 SaaS. We are developing on a local instance of Odoo but intend to use it on our SaaS instance.

What is the process to submit an App to Odoo for inclusion in the SaaS product? 

I found this: https://apps.openerp.com/apps/upload/

Is there anything else I need to know? Is there any risk that we could develop this Stripe Integration and then Odoo could reject it and we won't be able to use it on the SaaS version?

Fabrice Henrion (fhe)

--Fabrice Henrion (fhe)--
| 7 7 8
San Francisco, United States
--Fabrice Henrion (fhe)--

Director Odoo USA

Fabrice Henrion (fhe)
On 1/4/15, 7:38 PM

There is no process to "submit" an app for inclusion in Odoo SaaS. The apps on the SaaS are certified modules covered by the Odoo Enterprise contract. Certifying a module is a big deal as it extends the responsibility of Odoo towards all its customers in terms of maintenance. This is why a module goes through an extensive certification process at Odoo R&D before being certified. You cannot ask that Odoo "looks into" your module to see if it's good enough to be included because everybody creating a module would ask that and this is just not feasible from a resources standpoint (think of the 4000 modules). Additionally, the modules that the community develop are project-driven while the Odoo product roadmap is mass-adoption/innovation/usability driven. Example: a customer is never going to ask a partner (or its IT department) to make the framework API more efficient; they will ask for more features. If only project-driven modules were added to the certified modules, we would end up with a frankenstein Odoo with modules whose rationales come from different projects in different industries with different requirements; it's a threat to genericity.

In regards with your Stripe integration, your best bet is to develop it as similarly as the Ogone one as possible. You have a higher chance with a module like this than with a module that introduces a brand new feature because you can copy another certified module that does the same (except with a different payment processor). Then, make a pull request into Odoo master: https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pulls

Hi Fabrice, Thanks for the excellent detail. Am I understanding correctly that it is not possible for us to build a module for our own use in our SaaS instance? For example, a model like Zendesk allows us to build all the private apps we want and use them immediately, but also has an option to include in their official App Store. We've released both flavors on Zendesk and other SaaS platforms and it's straightforward. The publicly available apps put the responsibility of maintenance on the developer, NOT the SaaS provider (Odoo) I'm not looking to add a module to the official "Odoo Apps" - Just build out our own 3rd party functionality necessary for our business operations. Is that only doable if we go with a self hosted version of Odoo?

David Birchmier
on 1/5/15, 12:16 PM

I'm not familiar with what Zendesk allows to do on their SaaS, but if they allow anyone to apply any custom code (as deeply as what a custom module on Odoo would), then it means that it's possible to break (ie. crash) their SaaS instance. Now I understand that they would say "You applied custom code so we are not responsible if your business is stopped because you crashed your instance; clean up your own mess". But we don't want to put users and ourselves in this situation. We want to ensure that "if you are on Odoo SaaS, it won't break". Your alternative is to build your custom development outside Odoo and communicate with Odoo Online through its API. As an example, this is a Magento connector that works with Odoo SaaS because it's exclusively a webservice: www.aio-commerce.com

Fabrice Henrion (fhe)
on 1/6/15, 3:43 AM

Thanks for the additional details. Very helpful. The API option sounds workable. Would it be possible to accomplish what we desire through the API? I.e. Having a "STRIPE" button in the POS and when clicked a credit card form pops up, the card is swiped, charged, and then reports that payment back to Odoo. Thanks again for the help.

David Birchmier
on 1/7/15, 2:22 PM

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)

--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--
| 6 8 8
fsdsdfsdf, Belgium
--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--

Odoo Founder & CEO

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
On 1/5/15, 2:03 AM

There is no way to include new modules in the SaaS platform. We limit the number of features so that we can guarantee smooth upgrades and bug fix guarantee at very low costs. Odoo prefers to focus its efforts on making existing features become perfect rather than adding more features.

At the current price, we can't afford loosing a few days\hours per monthly upgrade due to a third party module. We would loose all our margins. Usually, the maintenance cost of a module is twice its development costs over the span of 3 years, that's why we can't maintain third party modules at our charge.

Shimon
On 2/23/15, 4:55 AM

Could you make this module publically available? I'd like to make use of it.

Thanks!

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 1/4/15, 7:05 PM
Seen: 2393 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM