This question has been flagged

Based on our tests animation takes > 80% of cpu on client computer. Plus some requests to server are waiting until animation will be finished. During fast browsing in the system it slows things too much. Is there any option to turn it off to make speed comparable to desktop erp systems?

Discard

I would like the option of disabling the animations too, especially when I'm testing. Being able to shorten the animation time (in milliseconds) would be a very nice option as well.

Can you precise exactly what you call animations?

I think it's about the fade-in and fade-out animation done by javascript on the web client..

Author

Yes, I mean those JQuery animations of fading in/ou, animated resize and background tinting. All those things look nice for those who want to look on modern UI, but it slows down real work significantly. So having user (or system) option to turn off animation would benefit real heavy load users life

apart from the fade out of the login screen I am not seeing any animations. Can you specifically point to an operation that features an animation or graduated fade?

Author

Loading label, background tint, modal dialogs expanding. This is what I can visually see. Debugger shows a lot of animation during whole use.

Best Answer

things that fade in and out are:

• The login screen

• the "loading" animation while it assembles a page of html

• date pickers fade out

• Notifications fade in and out

there may be some things that have a 0.2second ease-out transition on them, but I can't find any. I just see the definition for it in the css files. jquery transitions are normally asynchronous, so they don't stop execution or slow anything down, you just start the transition and then the javascript carries on going so I doubt that anything much is waiting on an animation to complete - with the possible exception of the "Invalid username or password" error message on login which is in a callback at the end of the login pane fadein animation.

Discard
Author

When you saying something is asynchronous in javascript, you should take into account that it's actually not. It's taking 80% CPU, keeping some code on mutexes and blocking user input until it's finished. Just try to move fast around UI and you will see that animation literally slows you down a lot.

I think the CPU only eats 40-80% usage in a burst of less than a sec. but i noticed that not all operations are asynchronous. Using some tools, the resources even seems to be loaded sequentially - that's why the wait time adds up. Worst, the interface is usually unnecessarily locked in the process.

The "mostly sequential" loading of the resources can be inferred here : http://i.imgur.com/3bnj5FX.png . Maybe it's because of the modular architecture of OpenERP. In an interesting note, the user profile pic and search_reset.gif are now cached,so it seems some devs are reading the feedbacks?yey!

I will do a video of me moving around the UI fast, I am not seeing much of a problem to be honest, running OpenERP on a virtual server located in Germany and I am in the UK using a fairly ordinary core i3 laptop. CPU doesn't go high at all. I am using chromium as my browser.

ah, hang on, you are having domain resolution problems too. These animations you talk about, is that simply it assembling the page as the data arrives rather than any actual intentional animation?

Author

When I was talking about 80% CPU, I cerntanly don't mean of whole CPU. I mean that 80% of application cpu time is taken by animation. And some animation just simply slow - modal dialogs are painfully slow resizing. If you check Chrome debugger you will see a lot of steps of redrawing frames on timer

something isn't right there then. I am using Chrome, Chromium and Firefox on Ubuntu 12.10 with Intel graphics on a core i3 processor, it is perfectly smooth resizing and moving dialogs and doesn't show anything much in the javascript cpu profile in the debugger.

Author

I see in debugger several timers one after another set to 300ms delays. It's not about not smooth. It's about that animation forces me to wait while I can already do something. It should be option for users to see it moving, fading and resizing or work faster.

May i know, how to disable these animations ? Especially in the POS, for me the loading of products and details are more important, not the UI.

I am also experiencing a lot of wait times while navigating. And if you click a link while the screen is still loading, you get an error. Same thing with the search screen. You have to type very slowly, or else part of what you type gets lost. Very annoying. For an ERP system, I definately prefer speed over look anytime.