Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to share documents/attachments over the network ?

By
Maxime Chambreuil
on 11/2/14, 12:14 PM 5,216 views

With version 8, I would like to share documents/attachments in Odoo over the network so that user can access them using CIFS or Webdav.

The scenario is as follows :

• Odoo user adds a document "scope.pdf" to the task named "Analysis" which belongs to "Odoo implementation" project
  • Windows user browses the Windows network and get the file using the following URL :
    //Odoo Server/Odoo/Projects/Odoo implementation/Analysis/scope.pdf

document_webdav is not available on version 8.

The filestore cannot be directly shared using Samba as it does not reflect the directory configuration set in Odoo (one directory per project and task) and files don't have extensions.

Any solution ?

Torsten Francke
On 11/3/14, 6:00 AM

Hi Maxime,

let me describe three scenarios, so that you have the full picture on how I was playing and thinking about how to deal with Webdav [1, 2] and Odoo and how it related to Owncload.

1) Odoo as Backend for Owncload

We did this with OpenERP v7 to test our Webdav module [2]. The documents get stored in OpenERP and you can access it on Owncload, like syncing it with the client to your local storage. Feels really cool like Dropbox.
It works very well with static files, but it didn't work with reports which will be rendered in OpenERP if you download it.
Upload works as well.
This solution doesn't work for Odoo v8 because there is no webdav module at the moment.

2) Owncload as Storage-Location & Webdav Server

The general idea is, if we want to use webdav, to use other software that is its core business to implement a good working webdav server.

Programming the webdav protocol is not fun at all, if you are on the server side. The idea is that if you are a client it would be a little better. So you configure your Odoo to store all document not in his database or on filesystem. You upload them to Owncload, so you can have access them via Webdav.
To make upload work, you need another plugin for Owncload to inform Odoo that it has a new file.

2b) If you don't want to implement webdav as a client. You can also use the code from Sebastien [3] to store the data in a more complex tree on filestore and configure this location as an Owncload backend.

In both cases, you need to implement the Owncload Sharing REST API to map rights to get access.
We have a shared user base, to use ldap for both systems.

Conclusion:
At the moment i know you are not the only one that needs this feature and dropping webdav from core is from the functional side a loss.
I am unsure at the moment, what is the best way to go.
A) Migration of the webdav module
B) Using existing webdav server and make an integration (Owncload or maybe there is another solution)

Kind Regards

Markus

[1] http://de.slideshare.net/initOS/webdav-caldav-co-in-odoo
[2] https://github.com/initOS/openerp-dav

[3] https://github.com/akretion/server-tools/tree/7.0-binary-field/binary_field

Hi guys, What about this thing? Theoretically in v7 the ftp and owncloud is a great option, but in v8 doesn't exist this function. What's the best practice for file store in v8? I think alfresco with CMIS is good, but it is too robust (based on java) (and i can't find complate CMIS odoo module for v8, only v7 https://github.com/OCA/connector-cmis) Any chance for webdav or ftp module in v8 (for owncloud integration) or avaible cmis for v8 anywhere? Or what's your suggestion? Any advice welcome.

Tibor Feher
on 11/29/14, 4:01 PM
p.n1@gmx.net
On 7/13/16, 4:18 AM

Hello!

Do you have any news about this? I am also interested in accessing odoo files using the Windows Explorer.

I found this module https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmN78FIG1yc but it works only one way: I you upload a file through odoo it will be pushed to the ftp server. But if you add a file directly via ftp it's not showing up in odoo-attachments...

Maxime Chambreuil
On 11/3/14, 9:31 AM

Thanks Markus for your insight.

Regarding your second solution, the CMIS connector could be used as well : it would push to Alfresco or Nuxeo which would sort documents and provide CIFS access.

I will talk to Sébastien to see if he can use the directory configuration set in Odoo using the document module. It seems by far the most simple solution. Then it is just a matter of exposing the filestore with Samba.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

6 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/2/14, 12:14 PM
Seen: 5216 times
Last updated: 7/14/16, 6:05 PM