Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to setup pos printer and scanner in OpenERP 6.1?

By
mamak111
on 2/8/13, 6:14 AM 6,928 views

Has anybody setup a POS receipt printer on 6.11? I have two options available, either directly per machine or on a print server (current server). I have 6.11 installed on Ubuntu 12.04. Other Pdf docs are printing on local as well as networked printers, however POS prints to the networked receipt printers a blank page about 30cm long. Also I can't seem to get the barcode scanners to read into the POS screen. If you have it working, I would appreciate the instructions as well as the brand name of the hardware you are using.

You would probably don't want PDF based report/print to be sent from the server. Here's an idea for similar requirement (I'm developing my own OpenERP backed POS based on wxPython):

• Use any network LPR capable POS receipt printer hardware and setup/enable CUPS on the server, setup the printer so you can send string from the server to the receipt printer through network (lpr). Also make sure to use "Generic" - " Raw print queue" as printer type.
  • Create print_receipt_method in the 'pos.order' object which basically construct text based raw command string which will later be sent to the printer through the use of LPR via TCP/IP.

Another option if your printer is connected to Point of Sale terminal through USB/Serial/Parallel,etc (this is the approach I'm using right now):

• Setup CUPS and Generic/Raw Print Queue on the POS terminal
  • Create get_receipt_method in the 'pos.order' object This method construct text based raw command string and returns it to the POS terminal, this might also possible to be done through the use of Aeroo Reports (generic/raw format).
  • Write the result to a temporary file, 'lpr' the file to a local POS receipt printer. If you are on Windows, you can use some free tools which basically 'spools' any file to a printer.

Especially if your POS are handling high volume transactions such as supermarkets where service time is important, I would stay away from PDF generation. I also haven't got much experience with the OpenERP's web based POS, because I end up developing wxPython based Point of Sale interacting with OpenERP XML-RPC service, this gives me the following benefits:

Much greater control over:

1. user interface
  2. sale flow
  3. hardware devices (barcode scanner, magnetic card reader, secondary/pole display, receipt printers, etc)

I can easily access and use USB, serial, parallel devices, send signals through TCP/IP, and any other low level hardware action.

As for the barcode scanner, isn't it suppose to be just replacing the keyboard key strokes? Well, unless the serial/com interface.

Thanks Yohannes.

I'll definately try that.

As for the barcode scanner, it does capture the actual barcode and enters it into the product search field. However this field only works with product codes and descriptions. For those who are interested, I have found the following: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~guerrerocarlos/openobject-addons/point_of_sale_6.1_barcode/revision/6700 (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~guerrerocarlos/openobject-addons/pointofsale6.1barcode/revision/6700)) I haven't tried it out yet but will give it a go and update this post.

mamak111
on 2/11/13, 8:30 AM

Do you have a Repo for your custom PoS? Currently we are working on make some changes to OpenERP PoS for make a better restaurant oriented solution, and maybe work with what you have done could be a better option.

agb80
on 2/18/13, 3:15 PM

Searching for EAN13 works for me in V7.0 version as of 05/10/2013.

Luis Leiva
on 8/1/13, 8:19 PM
Timothy Solomon
On 2/25/14, 7:23 AM

Hi, I changed the webkit report to generate an HTML receipt which I then show on the page. I use a bit of javascript to automatically print the receipt through jsPrintSetup (a wonderful addon for firefox - attendprint is no longer supported). I also use javascript to get the height of the receipt so that it never wastes paper :)

I wrote a post on how to do the printing: timothysolomon.co.za/tag/openerp/

mamak111
On 2/11/13, 8:31 AM

Thanks Yohannes.

I'll definately try that.

As for the barcode scanner, it does capture the actual barcode and enters it into the product search field. However this field only works with product codes and descriptions. For those who are interested, I have found the following: http:// bazaar.launchpad.net/~guerrerocarlos/openobject-addons/point_of_sale_6.1_barcode/revision/6700) I haven't tried it out yet but will give it a go and update this post.

UPDATE

Using Attendprint plugin with Firefox helps fantastically. Only I have to find out how to chnge the default font in the POS module. Check here: help.openerp.com/question/2564/how-to-configure-thermal-printer-to-work-with-pos-webclient-ver7/

jsPrintSetup plugin works well too - attendprint isnt working with the latest version of firefox (@mamak111 please contact me)

Timothy Solomon
on 2/25/14, 7:24 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

7 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/8/13, 6:14 AM
Seen: 6928 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM