This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have no idea how to start with this. Yes ok multi-company will be the magic word. The companies are not related, they do not share anything. Only the user(s) are the same. They can make use of the same modules and the same localisation.

The reason I want to do this is saving costs for OPW and easier communication via OpenERP for the users.

I also would like to know multi-company technical basic architecture, how it is realized. This is to get more basic idea's about the issues that can arise and how to solve.

Discard
Best Answer

First of all I would advise to avoid having the same users on both companies.

A user will have one login per company. Otherwise, unless you develop some company switcher function, it will be hard to determine for which company a user is doing things. Like creating a Sale Order, what will be the company?

Also to be known:

What mainly separate access for users from one company to the other are the access rules. A domain filter like that on pretty much all objects: [('company_ids','child_of',[user.company_id.id])]

And a last thing, not all module have been deeply tested in multi-company mode. So prepare yourself to write some bug reports.

Discard
Author

The users are in person the same. I can give person1 the username=person1company1 and a second username=person1company2. If I do so, there is no need for a switcher function. The technical solution that has been choosen looks smart. At this moment I only see problems can arise when a programmer somewhere has forgotten to add the filter. Maybe this can be troubleshooted by a one time scan for all the code that is available? If so the code can be bugfree on this point and this saves much people including developers a lot of time.