Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to set project task dependencies?

By
Lawrence
on 3/18/13, 12:56 PM 7,923 views

Hi there. I've spent a while learning how to use the Project module in openERP. So far it seems like a really good tool- easy to use and very clear! However, there is a major limitation in that there does not appear to be a way to set task dependencies.

For example, if two tasks can only be completed one after another and the first is delayed, the system should automatically push back the completion date of the dependent task. Is there any way to do this? If not is it something which is being looked into?

Thanks, Lawrence

Davide Corio

--Davide Corio--
| 4 3 7
Bricherasio, Italy
--Davide Corio--

Odoo Evangelist and Consultant

Davide Corio
On 3/18/13, 1:11 PM

Unfortunately, you can't...

Dependencies on tasks are set up if you use the "delegate" features, but this is not what you're looking for. Otherwise there's no way to do so.

project_long_term uses the priority field while planning phases and tasks on the gantt.

BTW: we need the same feature and working on that right now. we'll release the addon as soon as we have something working.

Thanks for the answer. I will look out for the addon!

Lawrence
on 3/19/13, 5:26 AM

Hi Davide, sounds good also looking fwd to it - any news on the addon? That seems like a major gap of a standard feature for projects :/

Sebastian
on 5/5/13, 10:29 AM

Hello Davide, we are also very intersted in that feature. Any news?

Florence
on 7/11/13, 12:18 PM

I'm very much interested in this as well.

ROVYX BizTech Pte Ltd, Ronnie Choo Partner Portal Access
on 7/26/13, 7:37 AM

Can anybody guide me through how to use this functionality..response awaited??

RISHABH THAPLIYAL
on 8/21/13, 3:33 PM
Jairo Llopis
On 2/6/14, 8:08 AM

Just install the comunity module project_task_dependencies from https://launchpad.net/c2c-rd-addons and be happy.

Remember that it needs python-networkx installed in the server:

sudo aptitude install python-networkx

I have been looking for this feature for ages now. The workaround that I have used is: 1 - I created a project in MS Project with the dependencies (you can get an older version for some 50 USDs). Actually in older versions you can save the project as a database o xls. 2 - I created another database in MS Access that links the task fields in the database and/or spreadsheet created by MS Project and the database on OpenERP. 3 - I added some custom fields on the OpenERP database so I can write down in OpenERP dependencies, WBS codes, and Parents 4 - I create the users task have to be assigned to in OpenERP. 5 - I export to OpenERP 6 - Users work normally in ERP and update and / or create tasks 7 - I update the MS Project database o spreadsheet. (one click in Access) 8 - I open the project in MS Project and re-schedule (one click in MS Project) 9 - I update the OpenERP database with the re-scheduled tasks from MS Project database o spreadsheet. (one click in Access) A bit of a mess but it is the only thing Ive seen working with LARGE projects.. I believe that with some macro this could be done as a batch process and work seamlessly with MS Project and OpenERP... I am happy to share the database with anyone (can I post my email or a link to the databases here?) ... If not, I will frequently check this post and get back to anyone interested

I am not a programmer but I believe that if you add the custom field "predecessor" on OpenERP, you should be able to set a function on the start date saying something like: if predecessor is blank then use whatever you were using before. If not, give me the "greatest - highest" end date of all the predecessors... Successors, end to end, and other sort of dependencies should be also easy to formulate by this approach.. Any thoughts on this "more elegant" solution?

David, is your approach any similar to this?

Thanks!

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

10 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/18/13, 12:56 PM
Seen: 7923 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM