Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to reset database for production environment (Odoo v8/v9)

By
Adnier Rosello
on 12/7/15, 2:35 PM 493 views

Hello everyone,

I have a database that I used for the modification of some modules in a development environment, but contains fictitious test data, I want to know if there is any way to reset the database and have it ready to put the system in a production environment,

thanks in advanced.

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 12/7/15, 7:18 PM

In short - you can't - without spending a lot of time learning the data model, ensuring you delete from related tables, resetting sequences, etc.  Even then you could miss something and put your database into an inconsistent state.

Modules are portable and can be installed on a fresh, empty database.  Other customizations you should export and import into a fresh, empty database.

This is really the same question as:

https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-remove-demo-data-from-an-already-live-and-running-application-22683

Hello Mr. Ray Can you please tell me how can i use a countdown timer in my custom module.I am developing an examination module for online tes..so kindly guide me on the same..I ll be thankful to you for your kind act.

Shivam Mahajan
on 12/8/15, 2:17 AM
Ryan Cole
On 12/8/15, 3:23 AM

As Ray pointed out, there's no easy way to 'clean' a database. It's possible to delete/reverse some transactions, but that may have subtle effects that do not show themselves until later down the line.

The best advice is to set up a 'baseline' database, which contains configuration/settings, but no transaction data. This would ensure that you always have a 'clean' state to revert to should something go wrong with your live database. I'd also suggest configuring daily backups, as this saves a LOT of headache should something go wrong.

Backups module: https://apps.openerp.com/apps/modules/8.0/auto_backup/

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/7/15, 2:35 PM
Seen: 493 times
Last updated: 12/8/15, 3:23 AM