Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to recover from a 'Social Network' modules uninstal?

By
Martin
on 3/30/13, 8:55 AM 1,739 views

It appears that the social networks module is essential for the operation of open erp. Although the system permits the uninstall. And leaves the system completely inoperational. With no means of recovery. I hope this is not an indicator for the overall quality of the coding! How can I repair the system?

This is a massive bug!

Here's my two cents to the topic of social networking: The dependency of OpenErp on this 'social networking' stuff will reduce its applicability in a real productive environment. Invoicing, manufacturing, warehousing, book-keeping those are the functions which make a company thrive or go broke. All this 'social networking' stuff is a productivity killer. Don't fall victim to this bad habits or try to be fashionable. At least make it so one can switch it off without braking the system. Guess what happens on Monday when no packages can be packed, no invoices be printed? Correct: hell brakes loose, guess what happens if I can't 'follow', correct again: nothing, this demonstrates how important this function is.

I close for two reasons; 1/ too subjective and argumentative 2/ duplicate of the following: http://help.openerp.com/question/8763/removing-social-networks-module-screws-up-system/ This site is dedicated to create a co-created knowledge base. If you want discussions, you should post to the LP lists of Google+ Communities.

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
on 4/3/13, 4:23 AM
andrew rowley
On 4/3/13, 4:17 AM

Totally agree! Social Network is great for salesmen chasing prospects - it is totally in the way for anybody creating the invoices, planning stock moves or the hundred and one other jobs that a company needs to survive.

This needs to either be user selectable for install or be capable of being completely hidden on a per user basis.

We are a company of 24 staff, there are probably 3 people who need (and would benefit from) the social network function and the ability to "follow" customers or prospects. Everyone else it would be a distraction and slow them down.

I know we can turn off the follow functionality on a per customer, per product, per delivery, per stock movement, per transaction basis - but we have approx 15000 stock line movements per week accross 3000 invoices. This is just not practical to control at the individual level.

Once you get past this problem then OpenERP looks really good and can meet our needs easily, but not with this massive overhead.

Andrew

Social Network is may be not the best title for this module as it is more about "communication" than "social". Nearly all employees need it. In our company, the accountant uses the mail feature (send invoices to customers), the admin who do the follow-up too (alerts on unpaid invoices+mailings), the HR too (template of refusal emails, discussions around applicants), the support service too (history on communications on tickets, auto-confirmation emails, alerts for the manager), the R&D too (follow what features are in progress/blocked/... for v8), the salespersons to communicate with opp., ...

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
on 4/3/13, 4:28 AM
  1. Being able to delete this module from the menu and crash the whole system is a bug. Responding with an answer how to recover from this (your software partner in our country has no clue how to fix it) would have been a real help. Besides if everybody needs why use an erp-system? It's about the business process. duh! Check Andrews comment! 2nd thought: it has never been good for an open source project if it mascerades pure commercial interests.
Martin
on 4/3/13, 7:55 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/30/13, 8:55 AM
Seen: 1739 times
Last updated: 5/2/15, 5:46 PM