This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I've setup OpenERP 7 for a small coffee shop. The POS is working fine, but I need a way to track the inventory.

Inventory tracking through receiving and selling products seems rather straight forward, but there is one problem that I can't seem to get a handle on.

One significant factor affecting the inventory is food that is discarded because or age, spoilage, contamination, etc. What is the best way to input and account for this in OpenERP?

Discard
Best Answer

Scrap.

You can do this when receiving, when delivering, when manufacturing, and via an Internal Move when you need to do it not related to one of the previous events.

Make sure Manage multiple locations and warehouses is checked via

Settings -> Configuration -> Warehouse

under the Location & Warehouse section.

When you scrap products, they are transferred to the Scrap location. You have two ways to review the quantity of items scrapped.

1) For all products, go to

Warehouse -> Inventory Control –> Location Structure

Then select Vitrual Locations from the dropdown, click Scrapped, choose either Current or Period and click View Product Inventory.

2) For an individual product, open the Product and from the More menu, select Stock by Location.

Discard
Author

Thank-you so much for your quick and helpful answer Ray!

I just have one question about actually recording scrap. What is the most straight-forward method? What is the best way to use the internal move function? If all we're doing is scrapping an item, do we open the internal move form, mark items as scrapped, and then discard the internal move? Or do they also need moved to a different physical location as well to be actually deducted from inventory?

Thanks again for your help!

Just complete the move. From every place you can move stock, you can scrap. It doesn't make sense to scrap in the middle of a move that is meant to record scrap. Complete the move and forget about the scrap button there. Nothing else needs to happen - the quantity is removed from inventory as soon as it is scrapped.

Author

Makes sense. Thanks so much for your helpful advice!

There is a case, where you need to manage a waste, no a product scrap but a waste or variable result of a production process... for example in the food industry, when you cook something with a weight of 1 kg and after the cooking, it weights 0,8 kg. How to do that?

Best Answer

I would like to create a kind of batch action that put in the scrapp virtual location the whole stock of a product list each day. What is the best way to implement that ?

Discard