Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to purchase in foreign currency?

By
Victor Major
on 6/18/13, 9:31 PM 6,074 views

We need some help with setting up OpenERP to handle purchases in a foreign currency. I searched through all the answers and the documentation and I see no way to achieve what we have to be able to achieve, except for manually editing the product prices before we place the order to the supplier.

Situation:

1. Our base currency is TWD
  2. Supplier quotes us in USD
  3. We need to place a purchase order with the EXACT product prices in USD as quoted by the supplier, not approximate prices as generated through OpenERP currency conversion at a time.

How can we accomplish this without manual intervention and external price list lookup during each purchase order creation?

If there is a solution to this I will need exact step-by-step instructions as I believe that I have tried everything that is described in the documentation, old forum and this new Q&A platform and my current understanding is that it is not possible for OpenERP 7 to handle purchasing in foreign currency based on exact, supplier agreed prices, but only using approximate prices depending on the present base to foreign currency exchange rate. I am still expecting that this is not true as being unable to automatically generate valid purchase orders in a foreign currency would be a monumental oversight for any ERP system.

Daniel Blanco
On 9/15/15, 8:24 AM

You can also use this module: product_cost_currency. It allows you to save your product cost in a different currency.

https://github.com/bmya/product_cost_currency

Sandeep

--Sandeep--
| 6 5 8
Delhi, India
--Sandeep--
Python OpenERP Developer http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sandeep-rana/3b/a16/786/
Sandeep
On 6/19/13, 3:54 AM

Hi

you can set your currency according to your supplier in then all purchase invoices will be in that currency

Thank
Sandeep

Victor Major
On 6/18/13, 11:46 PM

Here is a workable answer. I hope it helps everyone specifically looking for a solution to purchasing in a foreign currency using a fixed, pre-agreed price list.

Problem: OpenERP does not support purchasing in a foreign currency without involving exchange rate calculations. This results in invalid purchase orders as the prices on the purchase order are not what the supplier agreed to supply at. In addition there is no "elegant" solution for creating a fixed price price list as a workaround, however I found an inelegant but effective way to do it. Original solution can be found by searching for "How to set a fixed product selling price for a customer?" I cannot post a link to it since I am not worthy.

Solution:

• Create a price list for the particular supplier in the currency of your choice
  • Create a price list version to hold your individual product prices
  • Click on "Add item" and individually add each of the products you need to have a fixed foreign currency price and do this:

• Product = a product that you need to purchase at a preagreed foreign currency price
    • Category = All products or anything that includes your product
    • Based on = Cost Price
    • New price = Base Price * ( 1 + -1 ) + YOUR FIXED PRODUCT COST IN THE FOREIGN CURRENCY AMOUNT

This pricing solution takes the "Cost Price" from the product page, sets it to zero and then adds your actual fixed product cost price in the foreign currency without exposing it to exchange rates or any other processing, allowing you to place valid purchase orders and print valid product cost lists.

Igor Jogla
On 2/17/14, 10:48 AM

Hello, I'm also looking for a solution how to manage purchasing in a foreign currency using a fixed, pre-agreed price list. I have tried Base Price * ( 1 + -1 ) + YOUR FIXED PRODUCT COST IN THE FOREIGN CURRENCY AMOUNT. It works but not convenient for large amount of items. I just found a possible solution which looks better.

Solution:

1. Setup a Purchase price list in required currency
  2. For this price list create a price list version
  3. For price list version create a Rule. In this Rule you should choice a product category containing products with purchase price in required currency and choice Partner section of the product from Based on: .

4. For each product you should specify a supplier under Suppliers tab.

5. In the Supplier information window click on "Add item" and add Quantity and Purchase Price in required currency.

Please check this solution and inform is it really OK for you.

It is possible to insert Supplier and Supplier price for each product via csv import or Kettle ETL. But currently I have no ready solution for that.

Elevenmidia
On 3/25/14, 2:14 PM

This is also one one my needs in openerp. I will test both proposed solutions and see which will be better for me to use.

Any of you have an additional solution/fix for this problem? Perhaps the multicurrency is arising additional problems. Any other you have noticed?

Thank you very much

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 6/18/13, 9:31 PM
Seen: 6074 times
Last updated: 9/15/15, 8:24 AM