This question has been flagged
4 Replies

My goal is to have a module do the setup at install: loading dependencies, and settings configuration parameters. The idea is to keep everything in the code (if possible), to have all the information in the same place. In my dream, I'd love to have all the parameters in a key-value based file in my module.

I managed to successfully set parameters in res.company and website (e.g. changing the default favicon), but I have a hard time accessing the parameters in base.config.settings, as it apparently deals with transient models (or is there another way?). My readings lead me to try things like this:

1. create an object from the transient model with the required values set

2. call execute() on it

I tried the code below in a module (with the companion view).

class ResBaseConfigSettings(models.TransientModel):
    _inherit = "base.config.settings"
    @api.model 
    def set_signup_parameters(self):
        _logger.info("> Settings sign-up parameters")
        _logger.info(self)
        settings = self.env['base.config.settings'].create({
            'auth_signup_uninvited': True,
            'auth_signup_reset_password': True,
        })
        settings.execute()
        _logger.info("> ... done.")

Here is the view (set_config_parameters.xml):

<odoo>
  <data noupdate="1">
            <function model="base.config.settings" name="set_signup_parameters"/>
  </data>
</odoo>

Unfortunately, when I execute the code (by installing the module) an infinite loop is created, and I can't figure out why. 

2017-08-08 06:04:14,308 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.modules.loading: loading tfbn_enhancements/views/set_config_parameters.xml
2017-08-08 06:04:14,452 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: > Settings sign-up parameters
2017-08-08 06:04:14,452 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: base.config.settings()
2017-08-08 06:04:15,744 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: > Settings sign-up parameters
2017-08-08 06:04:15,744 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: base.config.settings(1,)
2017-08-08 06:04:16,929 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: > Settings sign-up parameters
2017-08-08 06:04:16,929 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: base.config.settings(2,)
2017-08-08 06:04:18,162 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: > Settings sign-up parameters
2017-08-08 06:04:18,162 4649 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.tfbn_enhancements.models.models: base.config.settings(3,)
(...)

Also, when I'm trying to execute this in the console, it seems to work ok. At least, there is no sign of infinite loop. 

>>> c = self.env['base.config.settings'].create({'auth_signup_uninvited': True,'auth_signup_reset_password': True,})
>>> c
base.config.settings(1,)
>>> c.execute()
2017-08-08 06:45:38,182 9929 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.base.res.res_config: getting next operation 2017-08-08 06:45:38,183 9929 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.base.res.res_config: getting next ir.actions.todo()
2017-08-08 06:45:38,188 9929 INFO TFBN01A odoo.addons.base.res.res_config: next action is None
{'url': '/web', 'type': 'ir.actions.act_url', 'target': 'self'}

I'm also wondering where those settings are stored in the database (in ir_config_parameter?), and the proper way to store these permanently.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Update: there are two possible ways to achieve the same result (i.e. getting two boolean fields checked).

OPTION 1) Using Python code

About the issues described above, and for the record:

• the infinite loop comes for the fact the above code did not implement the right type of inheritance (it did implement class inheritance instead of the desired prototype inheritance). The fix is to add a _name attribute (different from _inherit). See https://www.odoo.com/documentation/10.0/howtos/backend.html#inheritance

• the view needs to be fixed accordingly

See the revised code:

class ResBaseConfigSettings(models.TransientModel):
    _name = "my.config.settings" # that's prototype inheritance (vs. class inheritance if omitted)
                                   # see https://www.odoo.com/documentation/10.0/howtos/backend.html#inheritance
    _inherit = "res.config.settings"
    @api.model 
    def set_signup_parameters(self):
        _logger.info("> Settings sign-up parameters")
        settings = self.env['res.config.settings'].create({
            'auth_signup_uninvited': True,
            'auth_signup_reset_password': True,
        })
        settings.execute()
        _logger.info("> ... done.")

and the view reflecting the new model _name:

<odoo>
  <data noupdate="1">
            <function model="my.config.settings" name="set_signup_parameters"/>
  </data>
</odoo>

OPTION 2) Entirely in a view with a record and a function node

Just make sure your module is called "my_app" or remove the "my_app." part from the id and ref below.

<!-- Another way to set up the signup parameters vs. the record, then the function (in that order) below
           See https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-update-a-module-s-config-settings-from-another-module-28230
-->
      <record model="base.config.settings" id="my_app.signup_settings">
        <field name="auth_signup_uninvited" eval="1"/>  
        <field name="auth_signup_reset_password" eval="1"/> 
      </record>
      <function model="base.config.settings" name="execute">
        <!-- ids = --> <value eval="[ref('my_app.signup_settings')]"/>
        <!-- context = --> <value eval="{}"/>
      </function>

Discard
Best Answer

Hello Marc,

The configuration panels are views to trigger different actions in the background when you click on "Apply". It installs modules, adds users to groups or set a default values. You can reproduce those same actions using the dependencies of your module to install other modules or from an XML file in your module to update groups or set the value of the defaults.

Discard
Best Answer

Updated for v16

I was trying to figure out how to do this completely from the odoo shell and was able to solve with the following code:

newSettings = env['res.config.settings'].create({})
newSettings.update({'auth_signup_uninvited' : True})
newSettings.execute()
env.cr.commit()

Discard
Best Answer

Updated for v15:

# get access to the configuration model
ResConfig = env["res.config.settings"].create({}).execute()

# get a copy of the default values
default_values = ResConfig.default_get(list(ResConfig.fields_get()))

# update the default values = "Operations --> Warnings"
default_values.update({"group_warning_stock": True})

# save

ResConfig.create(default_values).execute()

Discard