Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to pass pdf binary data to a custom pdf.js widget?

By
Jason Murphy
on 7/23/13, 3:32 PM 2,293 views

Hi,

I'm new to openerp addon development and I'm trying to add functionality to openerp's document management system that allows the user to view pdfs within the browser rather than downloading the pdf which is the default behavior.

The approach I'm aiming to take is to create a custom widget using mozilla's pdf.js library and apply it to a copy of the 'datas' binary field within the document_view.xml on a separate notebook page (after verifying that the document is actually a pdf of course). For example:

<page string="View Pdf">
    <field name="datas" filename="datas_fname" widget="pdfviewer"/>
</page>

I've taken a gander at a tutorial suggested on another question (Can't post link due to low karma) but the widget that is created is just a Facebook widget with no obvious (at least to me) interaction with data originally in the field.

Is this the correct way to approach something like this? or rather, is this how widgets work? and if so how could i get the binary data through javascript?

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/23/13, 3:32 PM
Seen: 2293 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM