Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to NOT add followers if they are set to "Receive Messages by Email: Never"

By
Michael Karrer
on 7/23/13, 10:10 AM 4,048 views

One of the most "ugly" things about the new chatter / email system is that some informations are just not reliable:

One of the worst examples for me is that if i send an e-mail lets say for an opportunity and some of the followers are set to "Receive Messages by Email: Never" they will not get an E-Mail. But you can not see this!!!

This may sound ok BUT you will see in the message that this E-Mail was send to the followers - wich is WRONG - so you would have to "Check" for every send E-mail what the setting of "Receive Messages by Email" every follower is at the moment when you send the E-Mail - That's just not usable !!!

My Suggestion:

1.) If a Partner is set to "Receive Messages by Email: never" do not automatically add this user or partner as a follower!

2.) If a Partner is already a Follower but set to "Receive Messages by Email: never" it should be reflected in the send message! So if i look at an E-Mail there should only be the REAL Recepients listed!

3.) Why not add checkboxes for all Followers when you compose an E-Mail with OpenERP - this way you could set or unset the recipients very selectively.

Number #3 sound like a reasonable suggestion!

Christian
on 8/15/13, 6:20 AM
Mustafa Rawi
On 12/11/14, 7:49 PM

In OpenERP, a recipient gets his messages and notifications into his "OpenERP Inbox". There's an option to get them "forwarded" to his email address. The option "Receive Messages by Email: Never" simply means the user doesn't want these messages to be forwarded.

This is pretty useful in larger deployments where a key user (e.g. Sales Manager) can get hundreds of emails for every notification generated and every message sent to him. To prevent such email bombardment, he can select "Receive Messages by Email: Never" but still, he wants to know what happened and who sent him what. Thus, when he logs in, he can find all those messages waiting for him in his inbox and chatter history.

Hope this explains the logic.

Michael Karrer
On 7/23/13, 10:56 AM

After some additional thoughts about how to solve it why not do it this way:

1.) Give a clear indication if a follower is set to "Receive Messages by Email: Never" e.g.: like write his name in red in the follower list or add a big red X over his picture - so we already know with one look who will usually NOT get an E-Mail.

2.) If i push the button "Send a message" all Followers are listed with checkboxes - just like it works when you click send a message for an opportunity - BUT all the partners set to "Receive Messages by Email: Never" should be unchecked by default.

If i "override" this checkbox and set a followers checkbox to "true" he will receive an E-Mail no matter what is set for "Receive Messages by Email: Never" - This way we can "temporarily" send a partner an E-Mail even if he normaly will not receive E-Mails.

3) After pressing the Button "Send a message" and then click on the symbol to "enlarge" the message a new E-mail form pops up. The problem with this form is that it says "Followers of xxxx and". Again you would not know who will receive a message!

To solve this i would suggest to remove the line which says "Followers of xxxx and" and instead add all followers that had checked boxes in point two of my suggestion as recipients in the To: field. This would reflect very much the behavior of point two and would also allow to temporarily add recipients even if they are set to "Receive Messages by Email: Never"

This would work for nearly all cases perfectly and has the advantages of:

• clearly see in the follower list who will receive messages
  • allow temporarily to send information to the partner even if he "normaly" will not receive mails
  • visually see through the "checkboxes" or the "receipient bubbles" in the mail form who will receive mails
  • take out the guessing when sending E-Mails

Please feel free to give your comments - if somebody knows how to show this "idea" to openerp pleas tell me!

Hello, I think "Followers of xxxx and" must be relace by many_tags widget and have only followers accepting email in, and all adresse, contaxt, partner you add on To:Field. Followers list will just "initiate" default email value, but you can remove one or add one that is not followers.

Tuxservices, Jeudy Nicolas
on 8/12/13, 1:24 PM

Thanks for your answer Nicolas. Whatever the "solution" will be hopefully OpenERP picks up the topic!

Michael Karrer
on 8/13/13, 8:32 AM

Hey Michael, I agree!

Christian
on 8/15/13, 6:21 AM
IT Libertas
On 3/13/16, 6:38 PM

Please have a look at this module: https://apps.odoo.com/apps/modules/9.0/compoze_no_auto_subscribe/

IT Libertas
On 3/13/16, 6:38 PM

Please have a look at this module: https://apps.odoo.com/apps/modules/9.0/compoze_no_auto_subscribe/

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/23/13, 10:10 AM
Seen: 4048 times
Last updated: 3/13/16, 6:38 PM